Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about mounting behavior

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Ok I have three girl piggies, and I was wondering if it's normal for females to try to mount each other. I've looked over and over again and haven't seen any boy parts on French Fry but for some reason she keeps trying to mount 4 week old Biscuit. She's not doing the tell tale rumble and butt wiggle (I'm not sure the technical term for that) but she's chasing Biscuit all over. Oh my what if there is a hidden penis somewhere in there. They had a vet appointment and I had to cancel it because of my husbands work schedule. I'll check again as soon as I finish this question to look for a penis but I looked numerous times before. This is a little disturbing. If it's normal behavior I won't worry too much, but if it isn't can someone please let me know.

Thanks

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
It is perfectly normal for girls to mount each other it's part of their dominance behavior. But in case you want to check again here's a good sexing page:https://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Females will also rumblestrut and mount other females, as either a dominance thing, or when they are going into heat. It's not unusual.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Yes, it's totally normal. Humping is a normal part of establishing dominance for both boars and sows. You do want to check French Fry thoroughly for a penis to make sure, though. How old is she? Is she having any hair loss, crusty or enlarged nipples, or discharge from her private parts?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
OK so I popped over to the CavySpirit's sexing page and looked at the pictures with her in front of me on the computer desk. After some fussing because I had to hold her on her back which she doesn't like I've seen she's 100% girl. I was worried about a week or so ago that she might have been pregnant when we got her too, but I feel no babies in there and even though her nipples are slightly bigger than they had been before she would have had the babies by now. We got them after my son's first birthday in April. Sometime between the 6th and the 20th. They were 8 weeks at the time and as I said before I got them from a pet store. Had I known then about rescues I would have adopted one. When Cookie had a baby I panicked and did tons of research which landed me here. Cookie is 100% girl because she had the baby, the baby...based on CavySpirit's sexing pictures is a girl as well. And I've checked her over and over too just because I wanted to make sure if she was a he that I got her into her own cage before she was old enough to get her Mom pregnant. (If she was a boy that is) It's good to know that it's normal behavior. Part of the dominance establishing. Now that Biscuit is weaned all the way and getting a little bigger I guess they're just trying to establish the pecking order. Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.