Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Don't laugh...behavior question.

lattelove

Cavy Slave
We have had our adopted guinea pig for a couple of months now. I have not had a guinea pig since I was a kid, so I am still learning about their behavior and care. We often take Pebbles out of his habitat and hold and pet him while we are watching a movie or just relaxing. When we do this, he will often just crawl up on the chest or shoulder of whoever is holding him, and he will just sit there motionless, usually squeaking softly, but sometimes very quiet. I think he would sit there indefinitely if we did not put him back so he could pee or poop!

We were a little surprised that he would just sit there completely still. We expected him to move around a bit or try to get down and run around. Is this typical piggy behavior? Does it mean he is just content being held and pet, or is he frozen in fear?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I had a rabbit that used to do that as well. I called her my shoulder rabbit! :) If he likes to climb onto your shoulder willingly, then I would say that he probably just likes it up there. Sometimes guinea pigs like the warmth, or they like being able to see everything from a higher point of view.

Just be careful about him sitting on your shoulder. Guinea pigs have no sense of height, 1 foot or 1 yard are no different to them. And they can't really see below their chins. If something were to startle him, he could fall and be injured very easily.

Indeed...we dont actually let him climb on our shoulders while we are standing up. I should have clarified that this is while we are reclining or lying down, and we always have a hand on him petting him.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.