Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cage Question?

shortapsugirl

Cavy Slave
I'm going to be building a cage for the first time and had a couple of simple questions for everyone.

Can i transfer my guinea pig to the new cage after it's built or do I need to have him see it and get used to it for a couple of days before I put him in there. He's a little over 6 months old but I had to do this process with a bird recently and just wanted to make sure I wouldn't scare him.

My other question is kinda random. Is there a certain age that is to old to litter box train guinea pigs?

Thanks and any comments are appreciated!

Theresa :cheeky:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
As soon as your C&C cage is ready you can put him right in. There is no age where it's too old to litter train, but not all pigs can be litter trained. It's kind of the luck of the draw on that. Your best bet is to put their food in one area and put a litter tray under that. I personally have a loft that I can easily take out and dump every day. I keep their hay rack, pellets and water bottles up there. It keeps the cage a lot neater. So my suggestion would to put a litter tray under their hay rack. Or if you find thay they go in a one corner more often put a litter tray there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.