Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do you fully clean the cage??

jump it

Cavy Slave
Now that I have a bigger cage it's going to be harder to clean. I mean a full cleaning like replacing bedding, newspaper etc. I am not allowed to dump it in the woods because the white is very visible. My dad said I have to put it in a garbage bag but I dont know how to do it without everything spilling. I am planning on cleaning the cage every Wed. because the garbage truck comes on Thursday. Also, I've noticed that they are doing alot of their buisness in one corner but there are alot of scattered turds. But I think I might put some sort of litter box there. And I am curious still: Can you give too much vegetables in one day?

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
A litter box will help with the mess, you can empty that out once a day. I use a dustpan and brush to scoop up the cardefresh and dump it in a garbage bag. I try to keep the veggies under 2 cups a day per pig so that they keep eating their hay. I don't know if there really is a limit though.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I vacuum poo up 2x daily and just have a small garbage can near by. The poos are hard and don't smell. We clean-clean the cage (which means we take everything out and wash stuff). I have a layer of newspaper/puppy pads, towels and fleece. My three potty areas have a layer of puppy pads, newspaper, aspen and carefresh. I just roll up the puppy pads and throw them into a large, black garbage bag. I usually clean-clean on Sundays since trash is picked up on Monday mornings.

weta!

Cavy Slave
If you have a space in your garden, why don't you compost?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I have a dustpan and hand broom and scoop it into there, then into the garbage.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Clip the garbage bag to the outside of the cage with clothes pins. That way you don't go very far with the dustpan and it cuts down on what spills.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.