Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New member from South Africa!

Wilma Kirsten

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! My name is Wilma and i'm afrikaans speaking residing in Pretoria, South Africa. I'm currently a student- Nature Conservation - and almost 20! At the moment I have 4 piggies, 1 mixed, 2 Abyssinians and 1 Peruvian. We do not have all the kinds here, only 6- Peruvian, Shelties(silkies), Rex(teddy), Abyssinian, Texel and Alpaca- only imported about a year ago by Marie-Louise, website: pro-breeding website! I dont have a c&c cage, only read about it now, want to build one myself. Will post photos soon on my pigs! Hope to hear from you guys soon!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
In case you haven't had a chance to read the forum rules and ideals, please read the links in the following thread. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17032
You'll find that this forum is very anti-breeding. Websites advertising or promoting breeders are not allowed to be posted here. When you read that thread, you will find links to our rules as well as links to tons of other information.

Wilma Kirsten

Cavy Slave
Didnt mean to offend anyone, but here we dont have shelters and cavies arent known here. I only intended for people to look at some of the known ones here, we are striving to promote more of these little creatures in South Africa. Sorry, I did read the rules, but this wasnt my intention.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Your website is still not allowed. I assure you that if people are breeding cavies, there are homeless ones out there that people may have abandoned that need to be adopted.

Wilma Kirsten

Cavy Slave
Sorry again, should I rather not post again, seems like everyone will be against me by now???

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
I do not think anyone is against you. I would just not post anything pro-breeding.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
No ones against you, we just want to be sure you understand the rules and what we belive in. Your pigs sound very cute! Do you have any pigtures of them?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Welcome aboard Wilma! As said by fourbwabbys and MyPiggiesRock, the only reason Percy's Mom said what she did was because this forum is ant-breeding and pro-rescue. It wasn't anything meant to drive you away so you can carry on posting. You understood what she said and that's what's important, now we can just move on and talk about other things.

I'm sure it must be difficult to find rescues and shelters in South Africa. Having not been there myself I don't know of how well known guinea pigs are out there, or the general population of guinea pigs in that country. I would imagine they aren't common pets over there?

We are pigture addicts here, so when you have time we would love to see some photos of your four piggies.

I too have four pigs. The most "famous" and well-known of them is Tuppence, who even has her own website.

I hope you stick around! It would be brilliant to have someone from South Africa here.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
This website is based in the United States and there is a huge overpopulation problem there and in Canada, Great Britain and Australia as well. There are tons of homeless guinea pigs in our shelters, which is why this website aims to educate people about the problem. That is why it's an anti-breeding website, to attempt to make people begin to control the overpopulation problem.

Don't let this discourage you from sticking around to learn more and tell us about your pigs :).

Wilma Kirsten

Cavy Slave
Hi again everyone, thanx for all who welcomed me especially cavy-cool-crazy! I posted some photos of two of my pigs in the cavy gallery, so check them out and let me know what you think of those 2 boys!

For those who wanted to know if we have cavy shelters here, no we only have tons of dog and cat shelters and rescues! Unfortunately, cavies here sold at petshops usually go to the snake owners, and thats why I don't support petshops when it comes to buying livestock.

So I came accross a good breeder, where I bought my pigs. They only go to good homes, and we are also planning to establish a association and also rescue scheme so we can help the few unfortunate and neglegted cavies here.

I couldn't get my other photos posted but will do when the computer stops giving me crap!!!

New member from South Africa!Oliver, my youngest- the peruvian
New member from South Africa!My cutest, loves lying on his back, Vegeta- Abyssinian​
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5424

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Hi Wilma! I am glad you came back! Do we have anyone else from Africa on the forum?

Your two piggies are beautiful. The gallery is for cage pictures only - so you'll have to post the other two here aswell!

How old are they all? What do you feed them? What are their names? etc!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Ooh they have gorgeous colours! Vegeta especially. They are beautiful.

How do they find the heat over there, or is it not as warm as we imagine South Africa to be? I used to live in Cyprus and that could get very hot, but then that was closer to the equator.

Wilma Kirsten

Cavy Slave
Im quite new in this computer stuff, still trying to figure out whats suppose to go where. We only have one kind of cavy brand of food, called Duo Cavia, which is delivered to us in a day and a half (from Capetown to Johannesburg). Most people here arent educated on cavy food, and give them rabbit pellets and almost no vitamin c, so most get very sick and dont live very long, I guess thats why there is'nt any shelters here.

Vegeta- his 4 months old, Oliver- havent got his pedigree yet, guess his about 1month, Pikachu my mixed one is 3 months and Saskia is 1 year!

Dont worry, I will figure out this photo thing, will try again!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Your pigs are cute.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Wilma, your pics are gone now. Have you opened a photobucket account? Do that. Resize your pics to about a 3 x 5 and use the 'IMG' line to copy and paste in your posts. Oh the gallery is only for things not GP pics! Put them here.
Welcome.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.