Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help! GP must be outside :(

Ldang

Cavy Slave
My roomates wont let me keep the guinea pig inside so I need help setting up an outside place. I live in Los Angeles, and the weather is typical so-cal sunny, with some overcast, but mostly sunny. What heating/cooling methods can I use? Is there anything else I should be careful of?

Thanks!

Yeah, you should be careful of bugs, smog, heat, cold, rain, fog, any cats or dogs that might be outside, and mean-spirited cruel people that break into cages. What are your roommates reasons for not wanting you to keep your guinea pig inside? Do you have your own room that you could put the cage in? Honestly, I doubt very much that you're going to get much help setting your pig up outside. I personally feel that it's dangerous and cruel to keep an animal like that.

Are you paying any rent towards this place ? If so you should have a say , especially since it's your guinea pig . If you have your own room , I would just put the guinea pig in there . If they have anything to say about it , just bring up a conversation that you are paying for your share of accomaditations (sp?) .

What are their reasons for not wanting your piggies inside? As long as you keep their cage clean it shouldn't smell. Can you keep them in your bedroom?

Leaving an animal outside does not incorporate it into your daily life-how would you feel living in a shed out back apart from everyone else? To leave it outside would only fullfill your immediate desire to own a cavy, not to better the life of one. Responsible pet ownership means helping to provide a better quality of life for that animal-not visa versa. That fact that animals do bring us so much joy is their gift to us. Wait until you can provide the life for it that it deserves.

First and foremost, I agree with each and every person here who says that outside is no place for a pig!

Living in Ontario, I don't have first hand experiance with LA or its climate, but I would imagine it to be dangerously hot outside for a guinea pig and not at all suitable.

That being said, this forum says "Outdoor Environments Not recommended, but if you must, do it right!"

From what I understand, you do not own a guinea pig yet, meaning, you "don't have to" house one outside, you have the choice of not adopting one or two at this point!

That may seem really harsh, and I am sure you really want one, but it would be very expensive to get a proper outdoor setup, and chances are, your pig would die very prematurely, not to mention live a hot / uncomfortable lonely life. I am sure that is not what you where planning at all!

Good luck with getting a better living arrangement, as I am sure you have lots of love in your heart to love a pig, and there are certainly many pigs needing love in your area!

Is it because they think they would smell? There shouldn't be one if you have a large enough cage and keep it clean.

I'm in LA. I wouldn't keep my pets outside. You still have threat of heat stroke, predators, parasites, and more. I have heard too many sad stories. Weather fluctuates drastically and can be harmful to guinea pigs.

Here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/location.htm

Excerpt from "The Essential Guinea Pig:"
"It's impossible to truly appreciate life with a guinea pig unless you keep him inside your home. Just like a cat or a dog, guinea pigs are companion animals with personalities all their own. If you don't actually live with a guinea pig day in and day out, you'll never get to know him as well as you could. Likewise, the guinea pig won't get to know you.
If your guinea pig is outside most of the time, the two of you will lead separate lives. You will miss out on the chance to have your pet sleep on your lap while you watch TV and gaze up at you from the floor while you eat dinner. People who live with indoor guinea pigs enjoy these antics and more from their pets.

There are also many other practical reasons for keeping a guinea pig indoors. Guinea pigs who live inside tend to live longer than outdoor guinea pigs. Bad weather and predators are responsible for the demise of many outdoor guinea pigs. These are consequences of outdoor living that even conscientious owners cannot always control.

Illness is a major cause of death among outdoor guinea pigs, mostly because outdoor pets are more difficult to monitor. Signs of sickness can be subtle at first, and because outdoor guinea pigs spend less time with their owners, it can be a day or so before the owner recognizes the illness. In the case of rapidly progressive illnesses, a delay of even one day can cost a guinea pig his life.

The decision to keep your guinea pig indoors is a wise one. Even guinea pigs who have been living outside for years can acclimate to a life indoors."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.