Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Building a new cage

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
So mum has requested her verandah back so my challenge is to make a cage that is at least 3 levels high, preferably four levels, to suit three different groups of pigs that cant live together. One is a group of 4, one a group of 3 and the other is a group of 3 rescue sows, one is preg so the amount in the group might change a bit.

I have room on the verandah to make a cage up to 240 cm long and 70 deep. Which ends up being almost 7 grids by 2 grids. Grids around here are very expensive and bad quality so thats basically a no go. Our Bunnings store dosn't stock them any more and the closest K-Mart is three hours away.

Bunnings does have the wire shelving though so I was thinking of getting the huge metal shelving things from an Office Works store that sells them down in Newcastle, and then using the pieces of shelving as the wire parts and lining it with Corflute.

Or i saw a nice levelled cage made of wood in the photo galleris, only thing is my Dad isn't sure whether he and I would be able to make it as it is a rather large project.

So I was wondering does anyone else have any other ideas for a cage like this?

Emma

P.S. before anyone asks the rescue sow was preg before she was rescued and i adopted her, I have spare cages for any boys that may come from the litter.

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Both Dad and mum like the look of the utility shelving so sometime in the near future we are gonna go up to bunnings as Dad is sure he saw it there for a very cheap price.

For those who live in Aus and use this type of cage, are there any other stores that stock it? If so what price?

Emma

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
We are going to Bunnings tomorrow to have a look at prices, we've decided we'll definately use the shelving, but as the wire shleving pieces cost so much, we'll construct doors and covers from a wood frame and fly screen, which will hopefully help eliminiate any flies that try and get in. Of course we'll get the metal mesh not the plastic, as the pigs would chew through the plastic mesh in about two seconds flat.

Is there anything else I should take into consideration?
Thanks
Emma

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.