Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My new 4foot by 4foot cage =D

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
Well im all finished and they are popcorning everywhere. Its so cute to see them running around everywhere. So here it is it cost me about 200 bucks to build this.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Wow! That's a pretty cool cage. How many piggies do you have? It's looks like you put alot of time and effort in it. Great job.

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I have 3 boys . All are around 4 months old. =D it dint take to long to build about 2 hours. What took the longest was planning the cage why at the store hehe.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I really am impressed. I really like it. Of course, it would be too small for my seven girls. But I think it sounds right for three boys (I'm really bad with math). Good job.

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I dont take all credit. Most of it goes to my wonderful husband hehe.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
It is a very super duper cage. Why $200? You went all out for sure.

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I sure did go all out hehe, My boys mean alot to me. Ive never had much luck with pets, But these guys are so cute and belive or not they are very loving, i actualy get little kisses on my nose from my baby Nibbler hehe. they went from a large super pet cage to this.
Well lets see, I couldnt for the life of me find cubes without ordering online.
So i used that metal shelfing instead.
So here is the sum of it.
Metal Shelves 4footlong by 2 feet wide $5( I bought 5)$25
Carpet Remnant 2 foot was $10
Lanolium Remnant 4 foot was $10
Zip Ties $2
Duck Tape $3
Ramp was a end rain gutter thing that was $6
Fleece 3 yards was $15
Bedding Aspen was $9
Giant Pigglo $10
Food Bin 11$
Toys $2
Hay Buffet $9
Hammok $10
Cuddle Cup $13
Bottle Guard $5
Brick $1

It was around 150 without tax but then add tax and its closer to 200. But it wasnt to bad. I found all the cage parts at Lowes. And bought Accesories at Petco.And food to hold me off till i get Kms pellets.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Ok from what I can see it looks like coro and the shelves so I was wondering. Wow Super Pet large for all of them? Dang. Oh the metal shelves are the bottom like coroplast then? Geesh. what a fancy set up. At some point be prepared to switch from the carpet. they will pee on it and it will get rank! Ha Ha. Look in the bedding hay section on pages 6, 7, and 8, maybe a bit farther and read up on fleece. If you move your hay rack to the shavings more pee and poo will land there. You will find they spend much time under the hay and a litter box there makes a huge difference. Give it a try.

Lord reading it again and see that you used linoleum for coro and shelves for cubes. Got it!! Time for bed.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Great Looking Cage.
I *know* your piggies are loving it.

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I am thankfull i have a carpet shampoer, And there its lots of extra carpet so i can shampoo it once a week=D I bought fleece but havent put it down yet they seem to like the aspen.I have two hay racks in there now one is on the aspen by the big food bin and the other is still up top. I am going to get another smaller water bottle for the top level also, So they will have 3 waterbottles. And they have a food dish up top also. And I cant help but laugh so hard why I watch these silly Piggies run up and down the ramp popcorning its so hillarious.

JennG

Cavy Slave
My only concern would be the shampoo that you'd use to clean the carpet. I'm not sure if that would be good for them. I recommend fleece but that's all I've ever used and I love it. It takes me 45 mins (with the kids help) to "clean, clean" (as we call it) their cage. I hoover poop up every night and every morning (7 girls produce alot of poop). Anyways, I'm still very impressed with the size and style of your cage.

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
Im going to shampoo it then I was going to shampoo back over the carpets once or twice with just water to get out anything that might be harmfull for the boys. I plan on puting down my fleece when i do a clean out of the cage in a few days.I live in a rental Apartment also and I seen what a mess it is to shake out that stuff in and outside the house so I am worried about my managager saying something. If you have any ideas or suggestions on how I could make less of a mess I am all ears hehe

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I almost forgot this a open cage, But i took out the ramp for the night so they cant jump out of the top level. I have no other pets now so i dont need to worry about having a top.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Regular Carpet Shampoo can harm piggies.
Toxic when inhaled, and physical contact to their skin can be a real irritate.
Some have extremely strong chemicals in them.

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
Wow I had no idea. Im glad you said something. So I am guessing this is the reason most people dont put them on their carpet for floor time ?

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I would never had thought about carpet because I mind would have tried to figure out how to get it in the washer! LOL Sometimes I go around my elbow for a bit.
I live in a third floor walk-up. Ugh. That is the ONLY thing I don't like about the fleece but I have very few bits of shavings on it. My building is next to a spot of woods and I go out there to shake it all out. Heck it goes away from the rain and sun. Everytime I shake out the fleece I tell myself how wonderful it will be when I am in my own one story house again!
Do you have one of those small spot carpet cleaner things. You might try a mix of water and vinegar in it. No soap.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
I would just take the carpet out of the cage, hang it up outside on some type of clothesline and squirt on a mild liquid soap. Then using a power nossel on your water hose I would rinse to clear all the soap out. Leave hanging until dry.

For many years I used to use large bath towels in our boys cage, thinking this was the best bedding for them.... We changed their cage every night, so you can imagine all the towels we had to wash :( Then I learned about CareFresh from this group, and I am thanking my lucky stars. It's easy, doesn't smell, and the cavies love to run through it. I can get by with not cleaning the cage for over a week. And no more stinky cage. That is a HUGE improvement from what we were having to do before.

I put a layer of the *non toxic* Aspen Wood chips down, and then top the chips with a bag of CareFresh.
You might want to think about trying CareFresh.
(Personally I think it's the greatest, as does our boys. They make paths through it, and brumes.)

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I have the bissel quick steamer its a small cleaner. I have used carefresh but it stuck to my fleece. So thats why I changed things around a bit.I wish I could hang it outside but I cant as per the rules and lease agreement of my apartment . We are hoping soon to have our own house, When that happens ill be able to use carefresh again. But ive been thinking that i will probly take the crapet out and put down some linolium and then some towels and probly bedding on the top. but it will be a few days since im extremely sick and my husband works nights for 4 days.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Yes... I had the same problem with the Carefresh sticking to the Fleece. The boys enjoyed the CareFresh more than the fleece so I just gave in and took out all the beautiful fleece I had purchased. I still use the fleece in the area that they sleep in.

Geez... Sorry to hear that you are sick :(
Get Well FAST. :grouphug:

NewToPiggies

Cavy Slave
I think I will try that as soon as I am feeling well enough to clean it all out and set it up different. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.