Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cavy Slave looking for help

SgtCracker

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
I just got my first self-red, 2 month old male guinea pig about a week ago after having researched guinea pigs and realizing that they were the best pet for me. I have a few questions regarding my guinea pig. On most guides, guinea pigs are said to be very sociable and love to be handled by their owners. Mine, on the other hand, starts kicking to the sides if I try to wrap my hand around it gently while supporting the bottom with the other. Usually, I either have it eating food while I'm petting it and then I go for the discreet scoop, but it always gets frightened and kicks off. Now, I don't know whether I should be more aggressive with my grip or try other bribing techniques. I need some feedback on what I should do.
Second, my guinea pig is constantly frightened. Everytime i dim a light or make a moderately loud noise, he purrs in fear. I don't know if this might play a role in me handling it, but I do find it bizarre that it is very easily frightened.

Thanks for the help.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Your piggie is still adjusting to its new surroundings, it will take him a while to settle in. Pigs are pray animals, their instinct is to run from any and all predators, including you. Some pigs will never be able to get tame enough to not run from you. Most don't like being picked up but will settle down once you already have them in your lap.

If you adopt a buddy for him, it might help him settle in and become more tame.

PinkGrass

Cavy Slave
I adopted a new baby guinea pig a couple weeks ago, too. At first, I thought he disliked me.. but he's been getting more used to me and his surroundings. I think if you just give him some more time, he will adjust. :3 Plenty of lap time!

I also agree with nonamian. :) Getting a buddy may help!

SgtCracker

Cavy Slave
I was planning on getting him a buddy, but I read that it's good to keep it for a week to see if it has any problems, so that the other cavy doesn't get the same problems when put together. So, I will probably be getting him a buddy in the next few days. I've been looking around and usually the age difference is a couple of months. I want to find another male which is about 2 months so that they are close in age.
Would it matter if the other male was as much as a year old?

twinkies

Cavy Slave
I don't think so. I have heard it is better to get them when there is a age difference.
As far as holding, you just have to be easy with them, but always give your piggy some laptime and for me, the longer the better. They run from me, but once I have them, they love it.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Yup, it's better to pair up a younger piggie with an older piggy. You're going to have to quarantine the new pig as well, to make sure they're disease-free.

Make SURE to adopt!

Also, check out the Social Life page on www.CavySpirit.com for tons of greeat info.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.