Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to Piggies, A few general behaviour questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneBagz

Cavy Slave
Hi! 3 days ago we got 2 male longhaired guinea pigs. They are adorable and we love them allready. As I was new to GP's I looked online for care information and the like and am currently building a C&C cage for them. The poor guys have a commercial cage that is only about 5 sq ft!

They are approximately 2 years old and we got them from someone who was getting married to someone who is allergic. She apparently got them from our local animal shelter.

They seem a bit skittish. I talk to them and they do not automatically run and hide but I have not yet attempted to pick them up. I know they need baths, brushing, bum cleaning and claws clipped etc and I have no problem with that but I am worried they will never let me pick them up to properly care for them.

Is this normal or are they just nervous about their new home?

I am finishing the new cage on Friday when I go get the coroplast and a bunch of fun things for them at the petstore. The cage was fully cleaned on Monday by the previous owner and I will need to relocate them to thier new home if finished on friday or at least do a full cleaning of the one they have. What can I do to make it easier on them. I will fell bad if I have to chase them around the cage to try and get them out.

Also...is it possible to try and litter train them now when they are about 2 years old? I would like to try to keep the cage cleaner of all the droppings. I think it would make their life nicer and mine a bit easier.

Thanks for any advice!

Anne & the piggies Spike & Chip:)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm closing this thread. Please only post your question in one part of the forum. The responses from this one were moved to the Cavy Chat version of these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.