Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

what about plexi glass...

valerie k

Cavy Slave
Im having a hard time finding the coroplast sheets... called around a few places. most sell to wholesalers, and not to individual persons. I know the local hardwear store carries plexi... couldnt a cage be made out of that? Make small sides on it, grid the perimiter... shouldnt it be about the same?

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
Your hardware store might have coroplast too, ask them for 'corogated plastic' or 'sign plastic'. I got mine at Home Depot for 15$. I'm not sure about the plexi glass thing though.

Awitsaweasley

Cavy Slave
I work at Home Depot. Never seen it ;/

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
I must have got a special one, eh? I guess some places have it, some don't. Plus, I live in Canada, so it could be completley different. Same with Walmarts... I see many on here people buy stuff from Walmart that I know I don't have in mine.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
valerie - Check out this link to find places to purchase coroplast. https://guineapigcages.com/where.htm You might also want to check the phone book for sign shops or plastic shops. The plexi would work, but it would be a lot more work for you to cut the pieces and fasten them together.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
What kind of bedding do you use? If you use fleece you don't need the coroplast at all, just the cubes.

Emmett

Cavy Slave
Plexiglass is expensive. Also you would have to glue the plexiglass sides to the plexiglass bottom. A special glue needed. If you can't find choroplast you might want to try linoleum. You probably can get remnants cheap at a flooring store.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You can use Plexiglass but it is heavy, brittle and not very forgiving. You can actually cut it as the direction for cutting coroplast and heat the sides to bend them up to create sides (instead of using the plexiglass glue). You would need a heat gun to do this and heating strips (made for heating/bending plexiglass) help a lot.

I know this stuff because years ago I used to sculpt with plexiglass.

valerie k

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the replies. If I cant find the supplies that are needed by the weekend, I think I will purchase a cage on ebay.

valerie k

Cavy Slave
Thank you for showing me the page Percy's Mom, what size would you recomend me getting my family. I have the two cavies, and one is pregnant.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you have room for it, order the Extra Large 2X5 cage. That way you will definitely have enough space. Once you get it set up, you can cut strips of cardboard from the box your cage will be shipped in to make the sides higher and babyproof.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
You didn't mention if you looked in your yellow pages under sign shops. Actually I have the Savannah yellow pages out and it is listed under Signs.
Examples:
Sign-A-Rama
Doug Bean signs
Buddy signs
Fast Signs
Savannah is not Atlanta and there are almost 3 full pages of sign making companies listed. Take a look see.

JudeH

Cavy Slave
I have a play house for my girls that was suppose to come with safe glue but it didn't. Is there any safe glue I can use to put it together? Also what about pvc pipe for tunnels and if I have it cut in half for a ramp to my 2nd story?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
You want the pvc to be at least 4" in diameter so no one gets stuck. You should be able to use it as a ramp but you will need to put something in it so the piggers don't slip.

JudeH

Cavy Slave
thanks babygirl will do.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
JudeH said:
I have a play house for my girls that was suppose to come with safe glue but it didn't. Is there any safe glue I can use to put it together?
If it's wood an Elmers type glue is safe. Just check the label to make certain it says non-toxic. If it's plastic then your best bet may be a glass hard curing epoxy. You will have to mix it as it comes in a 2 part tube and while wet is toxic as hell. Once dry it should hold forever and be too hard for the GPs to chew on. Just make sure you mix the 2 parts very well before applying and let it completely cure and air out before giving it to you pets.
JudeH said:
Also what about pvc pipe for tunnels and if I have it cut in half for a ramp to my 2nd story?
I think you can easily use a circular saw or jigsaw to cut it (Ly will know for sure). Personally I recommend black corrugated drainage tubing. The corrugations are like steps for the GPs inside and it is easily cut to length with scissors or a box cutter. You can't really cut the drainage tubing lengthwise though as it will probably lose too much stability as a ramp.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.