Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Take a look at Chloe & Zoe's cage.

my2humandads

Cavy Slave
We just completed our C&C cage for Chloe & Zoe late last night. We ran across this site yesterday and thought to ourselves, "hey, we already have the cubes. We should do this".

Chloe had been living at a feed store for the last few months due to living situation restrictions. Things have changed and we were able to pick her up on Tuesday. She had been living in a pretty small cage and didn't seem very active or interested in her surroundings. We decided to get her a companion and came home with Zoe whom she was very happy to boss around. They are getting along quite well, but space was just too little for them to be happy. Luckily, we discovered C&C & knew what we needed to do.

We made a 3x4 cage with 1x6 L-Shaped loft. We decided to go out on a limb and try something differnt from Coroplast or Vinyl flooring (everyone keeps saying "Linoleum", but Linoleum is actually a natural material made from Jute & Linseed Oil.. it might be a good thing to use, but they don't have it at Home Depot). We decided to use composition cork instead. (sold as roll cork at the aformentioned Home Depot). It's a natural environmentally friendly material that's easy on the paws, waterproof, quiet, aesthetically pleasing. We discussed the possibility that it could cause choking if chewed on (and we're not entirely over that worry), but then we have the same worries about vinyl and coroplast.

We lined the bottom 3x4 area with pine bedding. The loft is lined with cloth (some jersey cotton, some woven cotton). The pellets and water are on the bottom while hay & fruits are in the loft. We were hoping this would encourage use of both levels. They are still getting used to the ramp, but it seems like it's working. Chloe has figured out how to go down the ramp, but not up. Zoe has gone up the ramp once when she was lonely, so that's a good start.

The ramp is made of the top from half of the old cage covered in cork & wrapped in sisal rope for traction.

Anyway, here it is. What do you think?

festara

Cavy Slave
I think it's fantastic! Very roomy. I'm just trying to understand the point of the grid at the top of the ramp. And it looks like they might have to step up alot to get from the ramp onto the floor of the 2nd level. I could be wrong.. it's just a picture.

flower power :@

Cavy Slave
that sting lookls bad, they may get feet caught in it and fall resulting in a broken leg, also put sides on the ramp and change he string?

poppy
xx

my2humandads

Cavy Slave
The piece at an angle is both decorative & structural. It's helps stabilize the loft. Eventually, it will have a cute little sign on it. Did you notice the rope light along the top? It wasn't on when I snapped the pic.

I agree it does look like there is a big step up from the ramp, but there isn't. The fabric from the loft is just tucked under the first few pieces of rope. It's stretched to the left a little which makes it look like it's going straight down in perspecitve, but the transition it totally smooth.

The grid at an angle does come close to the floor of the loft so Chloe and Zoe can only pass on the right & left.

kimmee

Cavy Slave
I heard that pine bedding is very bad for animals, anyway. *shrug*

Other than what people have mentioned though, it looks awesome!

festara

Cavy Slave
Ok, I thought so. I did see the rope lights. Great idea. I think the ramp is wide enough to not need sides. I've seen very narrow ones with no sides. I really think it's all a great design.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Umm, wow! I love what you did with the size & layout of the cage. There is tons of room there, and your piggies ought to adore that awesome loft!

I am just a little confused as to the purpose of the sideways grid, across the loft entrance. Could you explain why you put it there?

I like the idea of using cork too... It is definitely a better, more environmentally friendly product than most of use end up using. I am a little worried that it might soak up urine over time. Hopefully you have come up with a way to prevent this. Personally, I would like to recommend fleece. It is 100% polyester, but it is made from recycled soda bottles... another way to stay "green" if that was your intention. Because of the natural wicking properties, that with a layer of towels or some other absorbent cotton underneath, you should keep your cork from deteriorating over time as wood does.

On the whole, I love it! And two thumbs up for ingenuity!

my2humandads

Cavy Slave
There is little scientific data stating pine is bad. Possibly a way for makers of alternative bedding to make money?

festara

Cavy Slave
I use pine bedding in Angel's litter pan. It doesn't have much of an odor though. I think the ones that smell are bad for thier respiratory systems. That's what I've read anyway. It's the first bedding we got, so I may look into something else.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Kiln-dried pine is ok. Pine that is not kiln-dried has harmful arromatic oils that are bad for a pig's respitory system.

my2humandads

Cavy Slave
we are using a product called suncoast which I purchased from the feed store that was babysitting her. It is kiln dried, low dust, ultra absorbant and was what they were using for Chloe while I was gone.

fourbwabbys said:
Kiln-dried pine is ok. Pine that is not kiln-dried has harmful arromatic oils that are bad for a pig's respitory system.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Ok that sounds fine.

flower power :@

Cavy Slave
i stll think ANY ramp needs sides to be honest.*shrug*

poppy
xx

my2humandads

Cavy Slave
we placed a grid on each side of the ramp to protect them. Thabk you for the advice. Now if we can just get chloe to use the ramp. Zoe has no issue with it.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Try tempting chloe with some veggies right under her nose. Make her walk up the ramp and once she's up there, she will learn how to get down. Sooner or later, she will have it down pat.

my2humandads

Cavy Slave
Thank you. im heading out to buy another water bottle just in case. want to make sure they have access to water on both levels.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.