Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What to do if piggie is allergic??

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
Hi-My friend has a piggie that her vet told her is allergic to hay. (she isnt allowed to register, so she wanted me to post this for her)

What do you do if you piggie is allergic to hay? I know you can't take it away, so is ther a way to keep the dust down or something??? :?:

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
One of the ways to cut down on allergic reactions (mainly sneezing) in piggies is to put all the hay in a hay rack. Piggies who are allergic to hay just can't have the luxury of being able to nuzzle and dig through a huge pile of hay.

Another thought is to try different types of hay. Some pigs might be affected by Meadow hay and not by Timothy. KM offers a few different types to try.

If the hay is dusty and increasing the sneezing, then shake the hay before you put in in the cage. I have a cardboard box which I put a pile of hay in and I just pick up the handful and whack it against all the sides of the box. I just end up sneezing from all the dust instead of the pigs!

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
Okay! thanks so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.