Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Hi there! Guinea Pig loves to burrow.

SusieQ

Cavy Gazer
Hello! We are relatively new guinea pig owners. We bought our daughter Queen Annabelle in June and in July found her a friend, Lady Lydian. We had a bit of a rough start with Lyddi since she had ringworm when we adopted her, and it was a little while before we could introduce her to Annie. There is nothing more sad than two guinea pigs who are lonely and know there is another one in the same room.

We started out on the wrong foot. Our cage was too small, etc., but as we have learned more we have been upgrading everything.

Our children (12 and 9) love the guinea pigs and spend at least an hour of each day cuddling them. Our 4 year old calls them the "baby pigs" and is offended that he isn't allowed to hold and play with them. They are incredibly well socialized which is a surprise since at first I thought that Annie would never trust anyone. Lyddi loves Romaine lettuce. Annie loves bell peppers. They each have their favorite toys.

One issue that we deal with is Annie loves to burrow in the fleece bedding and creates a huge mess. I like the fleece, but when she gets underneath it to the towels in the cage, I get concerned about the proximity of her next to the urine that is in the towels. I change and wash the bedding every three days max, but she still creates a huge mess. Rather than a quick vacuum out in the off days when everything doesn't need changed out, there's a huge mess to take care of. I would love ideas on how to deal with this. Also how do you litter box train your baby pigs so that they only go in one area of the cage. Despite being a queen and a lady, ours aren't inclined to be neat.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't litter train pigs. If you're lucky, your pigs will have an area of the cage they prefer as a potty site, and you can put something there to catch most of the output. If you're not lucky, they'll pee and poop everywhere. Many of them will prefer a corner that's a little protected, such as with fleece draped across the corner. But if they do use an area like that, you'll have to keep it extra clean, because they may prefer to sleep in that area as well, and that's not good for them.

You need to hold the fleece down somehow. Putting bricks along the edge may help, or clipping it to the cage walls, or sewing it to an absorbent layer such as a u-haul or mattress pad. You're right that being on the wet towels isn't good for their feet, plus the lack of air circulation could contribute to a respiratory infection.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.