Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating New piggie not eating: veggies new to her or stress?

Tleigh

Cavy Slave
I just adopted of number 3 from the animal shelter where I work. She is 6 months old and had given birth to 2 babies (the babies were 2 months old). I adopted mommy and introduced her to my two pigs. They are doing the typical hair pulling and chasing but nothing that looks too serious. However this new pig hides a lot (she was INSIDE the hay bag today... which was scary because I couldn?t find her). I figure it?s just adjusting to all the changes she?d experienced in the last week.

However, I am growing concerned that she doesn?t eat her veg and is barely eating at all otherwise. She looks at veg like it?s weird and foreign. I did notice on her records she had only been fed pellets and hay previously. Is it possible she isn?t eating her veg because she doesn?t really know what to do with it? Or is it still just likely stress?. I did catch her nibbling on a lettuce stump yesterday. I don?t know what to do if she doesn?t eat. My other two are such eating machines this seems really weird. If she isn?t eating regularly, what is a good rule of thumb before I need to take drastic measures. I?m concerned because she?s barely eating hay or pellets either. I used to dog sit and I?ve seen dogs hunger strike for up to 3 days when their parents leave. But I doubt a GP can go so long without eating a fair amount. I think in the 3 days she?s been here she?s eaten a few pellets, a little bit of hay and a nibble of lettuce. :( if it is stress from her new environment and working out the hierarchy with her new roommates, is the hunger strike normal? I read all about hair pulling, rumblestrutting and chasing in preparation for this intro but wasn?t prepared for a hunger strike.

Thansk!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Give her time. She's probably scared to death in her new environment and needs some time to adjust. This is all new to her.
You need to weigh her on a regular basis, most preferably with a digital kitchen scale that measures in grams. You need to do this for ALL your pigs, not just the new girl. It's the only real definitive way to determine, at least initially, if there is an illness.

Guinea pigs are wired in such a way that food needs to ALWAYS be moving through their stomachs, so if she isn't eating enough she will lose weight. You should supplement with either Critical Care, or a pellet slurry at that point.

She's likely stressed out, and perhaps eating when no one is around to watch her. If she's never had vegetables in her life, she will learn to eat them by watching her new cagemates.

Make sure they have LOTS of hay, and pile some up close to where she hides so she can grab some quickly.

Tleigh

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice. I got a weight on her this morning. I also caught her eating. She was sneaking up to the big pigs bowls and taking small nibbles off their lettuce. It was cute. Sometimes she got chased away. Sometimes they let it ride. She also ate a little cilantro from her own bowl but still seems to think this is weird food. I also saw her get excited and shove her whole head in the hay bag and pick out some good pieces. You’re probably right about her eating mostly when no one is watching. :)
i weight the other girls weekly.....if they let me do it. Lol. The head pig doesn’t think much of the process at all. They are getting better about it though.

here is a pic of the new girl. She’s a cutie. Do you happen to know at what age a pig reaches full size? She’s about half the size of the big pigs. I figured at 6 months she still has a bit to grow by was wondering if she’s just on the smaller side as well.
New piggie not eating: veggies new to her or stress?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.