Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to guinea pigs should I introduce a companion

Saramichelle

Cavy Gazer
Hi there! I recently became the owner of what I was told was a 5 year old female guinea. Previous owner did not want it anymore after 5 years so we adopted it. Introduced it to a young female companion and then quickly realized our 5 year old girl was actually a BOY. So now he is alone as he was with previous owner. I really would like for him to have a companion. Should i try to introduce him to another male after 5 years of him being alone and the stress of being in a new home. Any and all suggestions so welcome. Please help. I have studied introductions and am terrified for bloodshed.

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
Well you can have him neutered. I hear for boars it's a bit easier on them than females

Or if a males is what you go for, try having them in a separate cage and for intros do it on neutral grounds. I've seen a lot of people advice this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!
I wouldn't recommend neutering a fiver year old piggy, it would be a lot of stress since he is older and most boars are neutered much earlier. If your getting another guinea pig you will need to quarantine him anyway, so I think that your piggy will be okay. And its almost never too late to introduce a new piggy :) I would recommend getting a younger, less than six month old boar. Those pairs seem to work better than say, two 5 year old boars.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think the age of the new pig will matter much, it has a lot to do with personality. If I were you, I'd find a rescue near me that would let me bring my pig in and let him pick his own buddy. It's not 100% guaranteed that they'll get along when you get them home, but it raises the odds of success greatly.

The other possibility is to find a very young pup, just separated from his mom, and let your current pig be the nanny boar. That also often works well. But I wouldn't take a young pig who's in the big middle of puberty -- he might make life very unpleasant for your older guy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.