Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage for small spaces

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
We are about to get a rabbit cage for our little guy but I know that they truly need a bigger cage . I made a big c&c cage for my last pair big gave it to the girl they went to . The biggest thing here is space . We don't have floor space and we have two big dogs , who are in training but one has a prey drive which means we need to have a closed cage out of his reach . The dogs do NOT free roam and are not unsupervised , they are crated if we are not in the room with them or have eyes on them . ( yeah pretty strict but we have ALOT of critters and a kid and it's the safest thing for everyone ) . Are there any good homemade solutions or what sort of store bought cage could we use that would be good ? We have a book shelf we can put a cage on top of or the piano . He will be gotten out quite often . He's super social and loves held and walking on the couch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
Space is the issue . I've made a c and c cage before and it was super easy . I'm just not sure of a design that will fit in our limited space that's why I asked .

lissie

Cavy Slave
How much space do you have? Guinea pigs need a large flat space to run laps.

Edit to add:
Can your other critters cages be stacked under the guinea pig's cage?
You can build a two grid high stand.

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
Cage for small spaces
Cage for small spaces
Cage for small spaces

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
This is the space I have to work with . The tall cube shelf in first picture is where I intended to put his cage . The piano is an option but is only 1 cube wide but plenty long . And if we play the piano won't it bother him ? The shelf is only 1 cube wide as well . The other wall has the fish aquarium and crab tank which really shouldn't be moved . The last picture has the most space but a window and a vent breaks up that wall . The hamster tank is on that wall but could be moved to the shelf if needed . It would just be harder to access . We could build something there but the room is so cramped already

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In that last picture, I'd slide the terrarium over to the left and put the guinea pig cage under that window. You could get a pretty good sized cage there, and you could either make the stand out of grids or build a stand that would allow for storage of the things that are on that small bookcase.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you move the cube shelf to the other wall? See pic.
Then build a 2 grid high stand for the cage. You'll have lots of storage under the cage for the stuff in the plastic drawers and the foldable bookcase.

Cage for small spaces

2 grid high stand
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
Good ideas ! Thanks , I'll look at it more when I get home and see if things will fit

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
Piano is not long enough nor wide enough. My piano is similar. My pigs sit on the floor beside it though and I play loud and often. They usually run and hide from me, and I have to fish them out for snuggles, but when I play piano they come out to study me and watch me play.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.