Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Need Help With New Cage Ideas

PoopyPig

Cavy Gazer
I need help coming up with ideas for a bigger cage for my piggy. I wanted to make one out of wood and with wire mesh as the sides. I am trying to figure out what to put on the bottom. I was thinking about buying some thin plastic, like shower curtain plastic from Joanne's, I already have a little bit at home, and was thinking about gluing it to the base of the cage so none of the pee reaches the wood. My dad seems to think he will just chew it or scratch it up, but it would have bedding over it, so I don't know how that would really happen??? The plastic stuff comes in different thicknesses, and the stuff i bought which is one of the thinner ones is pretty durable. I was also thinking about making the sleeping part lower than the run around part, so that it feels like a den. I want to make some kind of a tunnel system for my piggy to run through too. He loves to run through his cardboard play house that i made him. Its pretty much a cardboard box with 4 tunnels, one coming out of each side. One of the tunnels has a turn around. My dad is a little reluctant to help me make it... He is a carpenter though so he is very skilled at this kind of stuff. He is maybe just worried that it will take too long. Has anyone else made a cage out of wood and how long did it take you to make? Just don't want to make a C&C cage because I know I could make him something much better, even if I was doing it on my own. (I have inherited some carpentry skills from my dad.) Plus having a concrete plan will help to convince my dad to help me make it!!!

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
For the base I would suggest looking into linoleum tiling. Its what I will be using for the base of the cage I am building. You can aquarium sealant to seal the edges so pee doesn't get onto the wood.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I have wooden cages. I lined the cage with vinyl flooring roll from Home Depot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.