Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Hay Feeder Advice/Help (pig hurt herself)

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. Like most piggy parents I've opted to use a grid as a hay feeder because they can easily access as much hay as they want with minimal waste. This is what my feeder looks like: Hay Feeder Advice/Help (pig hurt herself)

I've had it for a while and it's been working just fine until this morning. I woke up to my girl Willa screaming. She had gotten her top teeth hooked around one of the bars and was stuck. I got her loose, she has a few cuts on her lips (I am taking her to the vet tomorrow to get her checked out). Her teeth are not overgrown so I'm taking it as an accident but it was too scary to have it repeated. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciate.

(The sides of the bucket are sanded down and I've taken it out of the cage for now)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The safest thing to do is just pile the hay in the cage. Not the neatest, but the safest.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
bpatters is right, but I understand , we're all trying ways to keep the hay contained, mainly to stop the piggies from peeing all over it.

I've tried a hay silo made from a bent cage grid, I loved it but one of my piggies kept chewing the bars :crazy:. Then I tried a hay bag, my other piggy climbed inside twice, he wasn't in distress and got out again easily but still..... too risky, so that got ditched :sad:. My latest venture is an Ikea bag dispenser, it's been a couple of weeks now, so far so good.

BenAndJerry

Cavy Slave
I use a simple thing I bought from Petco. Its a hay feeder and you can put food in it too. However, this definitely won't be enough hay if you have a big cage, but my piggies also use hay in their litter boxes. They seem to be eating more of the hay from the litter boxes than the actual feeder. I may take it out soon because I think its easiest to just have it in the boxes. I change this hay daily, if not twice daily. But, this is the feeder I bought: (broken link removed)

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I use a shower caddy!! I just found it on a shelf in my house one day and immediately thought HAY RACK!!! It's been working great for almost two years. I only have two pigs, both can fit at it together, and the space between bars isn't enough for them to get stuck, but enough for them to get the hay out easily. The top of course is open so I can restock super easy. Also, they'll often put their front paws up on the top bar and lean their heads over, which is quite a site. The spots on the back for suction cups are great for zipties. I highly reccomend it, especially because you could find these in so many different sizes...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Be very careful of any racks that the pigs can get in. We've had a few broken/sprained legs because a pig in a hay rack got startled and tried to jump out.

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Be very careful of any racks that the pigs can get in. We've had a few broken/sprained legs because a pig in a hay rack got startled and tried to jump out.
That is a good point. Fortunately, because of my cage design it would be a tight squeeze for my guinea pigs to actually jump into it. If needed I could always rig something up using grids or coroplast.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.