Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Has been treated for UTI, but still blood in urine on day 9. Is this typical?

SFTrex

Cavy Slave
Hello,

My 1 year old neutered bore, Pinky has been taking antibiotic med for 9 days but still has blood in his urine. He has had x-ray taken and bladder stone was ruled out. Does it takes this long to clear UTI? Or could it be possible that this antibiotic is not working? Or, what else could be possible? I have another vet appointment today, but I was curious of others' experience and what to expect. Thank you so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's definitely possible that the meds aren't working. What is he taking? What is the strength of the medication (either mg/ml or percent)? How much of it does he take?

SFTrex

Cavy Slave
He is on Sulfatrim 0.65 cc, 2x day. What do you think?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is the strength of the sulfatrim?

SFTrex

Cavy Slave
Not sure. It doesn't say. All it says is. " Sulfatrim suspension 50 mg/ml 0-30cc/#1." But it doesn't mean much, does it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it does say. My first response asked for the "mg/ml" strength, and it's right there -- 50 mg/ml.

Depending on your pig's weight, that's a reasonable dose. There could be several reasons why it's not working. One, it's not actually a UTI. Two, it's a UTI, but the organism that causes it doesn't respond to Bactrim. Three, it's a stone.

SFTrex

Cavy Slave
Thank you!! I really appreciate you are responding to my post.
I am at loss right now, though. I just returned from vet. She basically said similar things as you did. She believes the med is good and we should expect more dramatic improvement. She also said that the radiologist who examined the ex ray thinks that there is a slight chance that could be still sone. (The stone was not apparent or clear on x ray.) So, my options are 1) still get urine culture in a few weeks after he gets of anti biotic to rule out UTI or to determine specific bacteria, therefore different medication. or 2) ultrasound to find stone. 1) is a less expensive step, but still daunting to think they need to stick a needle on his bladder. The vet also noticed that Pinky's bladder was full, which was unusual when a biggie has UTI. She does not think continuing with this medication will not be very helpful for it hasn't changed much.
Now, we are home maybe because Pinky's bladder was squeezed during the exam, he peed bright red!! The worst urine ever. I am now so confused what to do..... I guess 1 or 2. But I don't know which is better at this point. I am getting really worried for Pinky. BTW, besides blood in urine, he is acting totally normal. He does not even squeak when pee. He eats, popcorns and is with good energy.....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd be reluctant to wait, given that he's been bleeding for so long. If he does have a stone, it could fall into the urethra and completely block the flow of urine. That's a painful, expensive emergency.

SFTrex

Cavy Slave
I have been thinking (broken link removed) choice just so that we can rule out or treat stones soon. Then, it not stone, we'll do culture. It would be expensive, but it sounds worth it. Thank you so much. When I find out, I will give you update :)
Meanwhile, keep your fingers crossed for his recovery, please. Thank you, bpatters. You have been a great support.

SFTrex

Cavy Slave
Update about Pinky: He got ultrasound done on Monday. They found sludge and 1mm of crystal in bladder. It is so small that surgery was not recommended at this time, which is a relief. The wall of bladder was inflamed.
The treatment consists with 3 weeks of antibiotics, Cipro this time, and anti inflammatory med, and 60 cc fluid daily. This fluid treatment is tough. Since I am nervous about giving him iv fluid under skin (with syringe and needle), I chose oral treatment, which basically I force feed him with 60cc of Pedialyte. I spread to 20 cc x 3/day, but it is challenging. If anyone has suggestion to how to do it, I'd appreciate it. Other than that, I hope he is on his way to recovery. Keeping my fingers crossed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does he like Pedialyte? Most pigs do. Mine will fight over the syringe if I stand at the side of the cage with it.

20 cc at a time may be a little much. I can usually get 15 down with no trouble if I'm interspersing it with Critical Care, but I don't think I've ever gotten more than 10 cc down when I'm just syringing Pedialyte. It might help if you also feed him bits of his veggies in between slugs of liquid.

SFTrex

Cavy Slave
Ah, good to know that 20cc is a much at a time. Thank you for pointing that out.
He tolerate Pedialyte, I wish he likes it more, but maybe because I was feeding him too much at a time, he did not like the experience.....
I decided that I would do 10cc x6 times. I just did twice this morning. He seems to do better. This in the end helps him take more fluid, because he wouldn't resist too much.

So far, his bleeding seemed finally stopped on day 3 with this new medication and regiment. I saw a larger calcium deposit on their fleece yesterday. I wonder if that could have been the sludge....
However, I have also noticed that there are a lot more smaller poops. There is a chance that they belong to the other piggie, but I wonder what this would mean if they are Pinky's. I also wonder if he should be taking pro-biotic supplement since he already was on antibiotic for 10 recently, and will be on 3 more weeks. Would you recommend it? If so, any particular brand? His vet said there is no good one in the market, but they have something. But I am afraid anything from vet is so expensive. If you have any thought on this, I'd appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.