Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy lover! In FL

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I have been on here awhile but just looked back at all my threads and realized that I did not actually ever "introduce" myself.

We have two female piggies at home. I have them in a 2x4 C&C with a 2x2 loft. I love tinkering with improvements to their "condo" and snuggling them.

Two days ago we took a new guinea pig into our preschool. I have longed to have one at school because they make such a great pet. However, as I educated myself before and just after getting my own at home, I have strayed further from the idea of having one at school. Only because I know what proper cage size is, that we should have room for at least 2 together, etc etc.

I couldn't have done it to my own piggies. However in this case, I feel like we are at least improving this piggies life. And we can keep making improvements bit by bit.
She has been getting some kind of pet store food mix with pumpkin seeds and such, carrots, and spinach, very minimal hay. She is rather fat. I think this is likely diet but also that she is in a pet store cage and not getting exercise. I was surprised how much bigger she is than my girls at home, although I have always thought they were smallish. May just be that she is older too. About 3. So she has had more time to fatten up. :)

Despite all this she certainly seems quite healthy and happy. Feet, fur, ears, underside all look great to my minimally experienced eye. I think the family that had her was very loving, had her professionally groomed, vet checked, etc. They were just loving in a misguided way going aboveboard in those areas without educating themselves on other areas of care.

We will be working on solutions to her cage size and a buddy over time. However in the immediate, I would like to at least start improving her diet. Any thoughts on how fast or slow I can take that process?

Here she is, Miss Ginger

Cavy lover!  In FL

Meanwhile, as long as this is my introductory thread, let me show off my little loves at home, I don't think I have posted pics of them in quite some time, I got them both pretty young, Stripe first around 5 weeks old, and then Cheyanne followed about 3 months later. They are both about 16-17 months old now. This is their cage with a 1x2 loft which I since changed to 2x2.

Cavy lover!  In FLCavy lover!  In FL

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
Hi thanks!
i love my little muffins.
funny seems you are just either a cavy person or not,eh?
their shrieking can get to my husband but I think it's cute
i joke the only time they don't cry for food is while they are actually eating. :)
it is not possible for me to open a package quietly enough to escape detection :)

not quite sure gingers story, she came via a friend of a friend, except I felt like if we saved her from being a "craigslist ad" that is probably for the best

she did bite one of the teachers her second day. Not sure what to think about that. I mean I know it was only her second day of big changes but mine have never bit.

overall she seems quite sweet, she's easy to pick up, doesn't seem to uneasy with it.
they were so into the grooming of her hair but her nails don't look like they received stellar attention.
they are not horrible. But sure not what I'd expect if she had "professional" grooming once a month as was claimed.
i trim my girls myself and seems simple

ah well we'll take it day by day with the lil roly poly :)

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
What do you think about the speed of which I make diet changes? Are gp pretty resilient to such things or should I proceed with great care? Thanks!

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Hi thanks!
i love my little muffins.
funny seems you are just either a cavy person or not,eh?
their shrieking can get to my husband but I think it's cute
i joke the only time they don't cry for food is while they are actually eating. :)
it is not possible for me to open a package quietly enough to escape detection :)

not quite sure gingers story, she came via a friend of a friend, except I felt like if we saved her from being a "craigslist ad" that is probably for the best

she did bite one of the teachers her second day. Not sure what to think about that. I mean I know it was only her second day of big changes but mine have never bit.

overall she seems quite sweet, she's easy to pick up, doesn't seem to uneasy with it.
they were so into the grooming of her hair but her nails don't look like they received stellar attention.
they are not horrible. But sure not what I'd expect if she had "professional" grooming once a month as was claimed.
i trim my girls myself and seems simple

ah well we'll take it day by day with the lil roly poly :)
Mine wheek every second the fridge is open, haha!

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
I think you can make the pellet transition fairly rapidly. Mix the old with the new, start about 50/50, and increase the quantity of good pellets until about the 5th or 6th day it's all new stuff. That's assuming she doesn't go for the new stuff right off the bat. If so, I don't think you need a transition period.

Go slow with veggie introductions. One at a time to make sure she doesn't get bloat.

Good luck!

Moomimad

Cavy Gazer
Love the pics they're adorable,welcome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.