Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Babysitting a Friends Pigs

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
A friend of mine is going away on a four day vacation and she's asked me to babysit her pigs. Since I will not be able to make it to her house twice a day she is bringing their whole cage and the pigs to my house. The only place I have room for them is the same room I have my pigs in so I have a couple of questions here. But first here are the details:

- She has three baby boy pigs, bonded, apparently brothers (I don't have an exact age but they are obviously not fully grown)
- I have two bonded, adult boars
- My friends pigs will be on the floor, and my pigs are on a desk.
- My friends cage will be right next to my cage but will once again be on the floor (if that makes sense)
- My two boys have never smelled any other pigs except each other in a long time
- In my cage, my boys have a loft to where they could probably jump out if they really wanted to (but they have never done this before)

So my questions are, will this cause behavior/dominance issues between my two pigs? I'm worried my dominant boar will go crazy when he smells my friends pigs and attack my other pig. Could it cause bonding issues between my friends pigs? Also could one of my pigs try to jump out of the cage from the loft to try to get to my friends pigs? I have a lid but it doesn't latch, but I could probably put a book or weight on top to make sure they don't try to open it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd put the lid on your boars' cage and weight it down. Better to be safe than sorry.

There's no way to know what will happen with your friend's pigs. Just a new cage can set off a new round of dominance squabbles, so picking up and moving house could certainly do the same. It may not, but it could.

I doubt that your boars will pay much attention since the visitors are also boars. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I think they'd be much more excited about it if the visitors were sows and happened to be in heat.

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Thanks! I was worried about it, but I didn't think it would be too big of a deal. Will do with the lid!

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
I will definitely warn my friend however, and keep a close eye out for dominance squabbles while they are here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.