Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Kooky and Ms Piggy, the sweet deaf piggies! (And a few questions)

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
Hi all! I am, of course, new to this forum but this isn't about me, it's about my babies.

Since I am currently on my iPad I cannot post pictures but will add them on later.

So here is their story. But first, I need to go a bit back BEFORE piggies. I had a wonderful little hamster named Maple Butter Blondie. I have her for almost 2 memory filled years before she left me while I held her. She had died of sudden heart failure March 9th 2015 and I was MESSED up for a long tim, still do get very sad to think about her... I'm an empath you see and my connection with animals is a bit more intense than most people can understand. Her and I were kindred spirits. Yes she was tiny but she meant the world to me. I felt that Maple would have wanted me to open my heart to more animals in need and I had decided on guinea pigs. I only wanted one and felt that even though I read they do better in pairs that I could be their other half if I spent enough time with them. Honestly I wasn't thinking much at the time, I jus has a desperate need to fill the void that my baby Maple had left behind.

i wanted to go to our local Petsmart JUST to hold one and see if I was allergic or not. However when we got there, my husband and I saw a sign that said "ask abou our adoptions" so I did. They told us they only had two back there and that they had some serious neurological issues and that we might not like them. We asked to see them anyways so they brought them out. I looked in this tiny cardboard box with very little hay and one water bottle and fell in love. One had a severe head tilt and the other a uncontrollable head bob. They had both had ear infections that went unnoticed for too long. Something told me I couldn't leave them there. The worker said they'd been back there for a month and that no one had wanted them and they'll be put to sleep soon because they were taking up resources. They were free. We brought them home. I was unprepared and only had my Maples old 44 gallon tank for them. They would spend the next month in that tank with free time every night to stretch their legs. They are now in a big 2x4 C&C cage.

I noticed about two weeks into having them that they were both deaf. Kooky, the one with the head tilt is VERY sweet. She loves being pet but HATES being held. I don't know what they did to her over there but she will scream and scream when I hold her to cut her nails, I never hurt her. After a bit she goes into this shocked state and starts constantly licking me with her eyes half shut...It breaks my heart... Ms Piggy hates being touched at all. An will struggle like mad when I have to cut her nails but no screaming like my Kook. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making them more comfortable being held? That's all I'm going to write for now. Will add pics of them later.

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
Here are Kooky and Ms Piggy enjoying one of their nightly out times where they eat and exersize for an hour while I clean their cage. Kooky is the black and white Abyssinian with the head tilt and Ms Piggy is the American piggy who has a head bob (you can't see in the pigs obviously) Ms Piggy also has issues walking, her back legs drag a tiny bit but she manages and boy can she move when she wants to! my babies get a couple handfuls of organic spring mix lettuce every morning with a chopped up organic bell pepper. At night they get a couple more handfuls of the organic spring mix and either some sugar snap peas, carrots or cucumber. I will give them organic fruit once a week. They love strawberries : ) They eat Oxbow adult guinea pig pellets, a small handful a day each. Oxbow timothy hay (copious amounts I refill at least 3 times a day) and purified water I refill every 2 days where I clean the bottle out with scalding water and baking soda til it squeaks of cleanliness. I absolutely adore how my baby girls will scream for me in the morning and throughout the day. Because they're deaf, their little voices are a bit different than a non deaf piggy. Instead of those little wheeks I get SCREEEEE?! SCREEEEEEEEEE!!!! But I love it lol they've got lungs and they need me and I love it!

Attachments

12196106_723596734438324_3593080715360339060_n.jpg 12208519_723598924438105_1602699282198111768_n.jpg
Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, @PsychoFaerie. Have they been checked by a vet? That's the first thing that I'd do to make sure there isn't an ear infection present that's causing their issues. I'd also have them both treated for mites since Kooky is reactive when she's touched. Sensitivity to being touched is a sign of mites. I'd skip using baking soda to clean the bottles since it's high in sodium and could cause issues if it's not thoroughly rinsed out. I'd just use regular dish washing liquid, scrub with a bottle brush and rinse well.... The photos are adorable!

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
beautiful story and totally gorgeous piggies! as pinky said id definitely take them to an experienced vet to get them checked over, just to be sure.
it makes me SO sad hearing about pet stores and them saying they have problems and no one wants them so they will be put to sleep :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, supplement them with vitamin C for a while. The leg dragging could be due to that, and you have no idea whether their diet included enough vitamin C before you got them.

You can get Oasis Vita Drops Vitamin C and sprinkle it on their food, or dilute it with a little water and syringe it to them. Or get a plain vitamin C tablet, crush it, and sprinkle it on their food. Just don't add vitamin C to a water bottle -- it degrades very quickly in the light, and in a short while is totally useless.

Thanks for taking these guys!

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
Also, supplement them with vitamin C for a while. The leg dragging could be due to that, and you have no idea whether their diet included enough vitamin C before you got them.

You can get Oasis Vita Drops Vitamin C and sprinkle it on their food, or dilute it with a little water and syringe it to them. Or get a plain vitamin C tablet, crush it, and sprinkle it on their food. Just don't add vitamin C to a water bottle -- it degrades very quickly in the light, and in a short while is totally useless.

Thanks for taking these guys!

Hey all ^_^ Thanks for the quick responses! As for vitamin C I do use the liquid drops on their pellets, just a few drops and mix it in. I also give them both an Oxbow vitamin C tablet every morning. They SCREAM for it!!

As far as the bottles and the baking soda go, I ALWAYS make sure it's thoroughly rinses out. Takes me about 10 minutes to wash the bottle. I take no chances with my babies.

And as for the vet, I know and understand that they NEED to see one. I've had them since April 2015 and my only excuse is that I'M scared. I'm actually terrified of taking them because I'm worried that they will get scared, being deaf and all, and have a heart attack being in someone else's hands. They've formed a serious bond with me and will only come out if they SEE me because they can't hear...I actually have an offer to take them to the Guinea Pig rescue up in Chatsworth, cali for a free bath and checkup. I was trying to get them tamed and calm before going...They both seem very healthy and active otherwise and already have VPI insurance too. My husband and I are moving up to Crestline March 4th and I already have an exotic vet lined up to give them their first checkup ^_^ I'm terrified... lol I'm REALLY protective of my babies.

This video is of Ms Piggy popcorning and you can see the slight drag of her back legs https://www.facebook.com/MiladyMalady/videos/vb.100003640130144/709790172485647/?type=3&theater

Here is a video of how active they are during out time lol https://www.facebook.com/MiladyMalady/videos/vb.100003640130144/702405389890792/?type=3&theater idk why they love that table leg so much!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I appreciate that you're so protective of your pigs, but their deaths of heart attacks at the hands of the vet is a pretty unlikely scenario. What's far more likely is that they could have some sort of treatable problem but won't get the treatment they need because of your fears.

You might try bumping the cage lightly when you need to interact with them so they'll get used to the idea that someone is there.

They don't need both vitamin C drops and the tablets as a regular thing. One or the other will do. And veggies are a better source of vitamins than pills or drops. But since you've got a pig dragging her legs, increase her vitamin C to about 100 mg. per day for a week and see if the dragging improves. If so, then cut back to about 35 mg. per day -- high doses of C can't be given for long periods of time without inducing pseudo-scurvy when it's discontinued.

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
I found a video I had made a few months back to send to LA Guinea Pig Rescue in hopes that they could give me advice on how to keep my baby calm when cutting her nails. So this is Kooky and her screaming. As you see in the video I'm VERY gentle and loving and take many breaks to try to calm her to no avail. And no, I don't go near her quick. I have a lot of experience cutting bird's nails so I know ALL about that. I'm only trimming the very very tips. THIS is why I'm scared of taking her to a vet : / https://www.facebook.com/MiladyMalady/videos/vb.100003640130144/720128764785121/?type=3&theater and here is the aftermath and why I'm almost certain that someone at the pet store did something to her to traumatize her like this... https://www.facebook.com/MiladyMalady/videos/vb.100003640130144/720126624785335/?type=3&theater If anyone has any advice on that it'd be awesome.

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
I appreciate that you're so protective of your pigs, but their deaths of heart attacks at the hands of the vet is a pretty unlikely scenario. What's far more likely is that they could have some sort of treatable problem but won't get the treatment they need because of your fears.

You might try bumping the cage lightly when you need to interact with them so they'll get used to the idea that someone is there.

They don't need both vitamin C drops and the tablets as a regular thing. One or the other will do. And veggies are a better source of vitamins than pills or drops. But since you've got a pig dragging her legs, increase her vitamin C to about 100 mg. per day for a week and see if the dragging improves. If so, then cut back to about 35 mg. per day -- high doses of C can't be given for long periods of time without inducing pseudo-scurvy when it's discontinued.

Oh hey I didn't realize someone responded so quickly : ) I will say that compared to when we first got them, her leg dragging is WAY better and Kooky's head tilt isn't as extreme either. They WILL be going to a vet once we move, it's not far off and they both seem very healthy besides the not enjoying being held part lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I looked at the video. I have three suggestions: 1) Burrito her in a towel, with only one foot at the time out; 2) Cover her eyes -- not totally, but mostly, and 3) Have someone else hold the pig and apply a carrot (or other favorite food) to its mouth while you're cutting the nails.

Also, offer her a yummy treat every time you pick her up, as soon as you pick her up. All that soothing is not nearly as important to her as something to eat. Pick her up a few times a day so she gets used to it.

I doubt anyone has done anything to her except fail to socialize her.

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
I looked at the video. I have three suggestions: 1) Burrito her in a towel, with only one foot at the time out; 2) Cover her eyes -- not totally, but mostly, and 3) Have someone else hold the pig and apply a carrot (or other favorite food) to its mouth while you're cutting the nails.

Those are great ideas! I'll try to get my hubby to lend a hand or two next time but I'll definitely try the towel thing. I trim their nails every two weeks to keep them from snagging on their fleece flippers. JUST the very tips. Thanks : )

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
Thank you for having the kindness in your heart to adopt two special piggies! They are both precious and you are awesome for having taken them in.

PsychoFaerie

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for having the kindness in your heart to adopt two special piggies! They are both precious and you are awesome for having taken them in.

Awwww thanks : ) I love my babies. They're my fur children and are spoiled rotten and rightly so. They'll never know another dark uncertain day for the rest of their lives with me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.