Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage Dimensions & Accessories placement

chetanshah

Cavy Slave
My current cage is 100cm * 100cm for 2 females.
I know that makes around 10.75 sq ft(1 sq meter) which is ideal size.

But I am concerned about dimensions.. s
hould it be 140cm * 60cm? or 120cm * 80cm?
100 X 100 makes a square if that's a problem?
Also if someone having a single level cage for 2 Piggies can share ideas of how they place their hideys, litter boxes, hay racks, pellets and water, tunnels etc?

The square is fine. What you want to avoid is long and narrow.

You can get plenty of ideas in the photo galleries on this site -- click on the Photo tab at the top of this page. You want to aim at giving them plenty of room to run, so you want to put the furniture on the sides of the cage.

The square is fine. What you want to avoid is long and narrow.

You can get plenty of ideas in the photo galleries on this site -- click on the Photo tab at the top of this page. You want to aim at giving them plenty of room to run, so you want to put the furniture on the sides of the cage.
@bpatters, aren't most cages long and narrow 2 by something?

Yes, but 1 x something is even longer and narrower. Those you really want to avoid. And if you're dealing with boars, wider is always better than narrow.

I wouldn't consider 2x narrow really, my store bought cage was like 15" wide.

I have a 120x120cm cage and my girls are perfectly happy. I like to put the Cozies in a row towards one side of the cage and use the opposite side for food and water so that the middle is open. I also like to sit in the cage with them

I have a single level 2x5, formerly it was a 2x6. I put the two water bottles on either end, one on a long side and one on a short side, and every time I clean the cage I move the hideys and food dishes for novelty's sake.

The pigs will tend to do the interior decorating for you, in my experience, if they can lift something they will. And they definitely have fun rearranging the four hideys, sometimes they're all jammed in one side, sometimes they're in a line, sometimes the plastic ones are all together and the wooden one is on the other side, sometimes two of them are flipped over and inside each other like cups- they never do run out of ideas. If I could go back in time, though, I would get slightly heavier ones so the flipping over didn't happen, like it doesn't with the wooden one. (Though the lightness of the plastic ones is nice because even though they technically only have one entrance, they can quickly flip up the bottom and run out of the pigloo if they have to, so nobody gets trapped.)

One of my pigs tends to grab a food dish and bring it into the pigloo with her so she doesn't have to come out or share, so I make sure to have two food dishes too. (Though I would do that anyway.)

I currently have a one level cage with 3 pigs. I've found that I end up rearranging stuff pretty often, so I like having things that are easily moved. My hayracks clip to the sides and 2 of my water bottles can be moved. For example, when I had 2 pigs I put all the hayracks, bowls, and water bottles at one end to contain the mess. I just added my 3rd pig a week ago and he (neutered) and one of my existing girls are still fighting for dominance, so now I have all the eating stuff spread around the cage so they can each eat separately.

I actually put all my hidey houses in the middle and the pigs tend to run around the edges of the cage. I like to move the houses around each time I sweep the cage, since they do their business in the houses and I don't want one area of my fleece and wood pellets to get gross. Mine do push the pigloos around a little, but not nearly as creatively as @jaycriae 's pigs!

I currently have a one level cage with 3 pigs. I've found that I end up rearranging stuff pretty often, so I like having things that are easily moved. My hayracks clip to the sides and 2 of my water bottles can be moved. For example, when I had 2 pigs I put all the hayracks, bowls, and water bottles at one end to contain the mess. I just added my 3rd pig a week ago and he (neutered) and one of my existing girls are still fighting for dominance, so now I have all the eating stuff spread around the cage so they can each eat separately.

I actually put all my hidey houses in the middle and the pigs tend to run around the edges of the cage. I like to move the houses around each time I sweep the cage, since they do their business in the houses and I don't want one area of my fleece and wood pellets to get gross. Mine do push the pigloos around a little, but not nearly as creatively as @jaycriae 's pigs!

Haha, yeah. I've taken care of a lot of pigs, and had a couple more, and these three are definitely the most creative of the bunch. Your mention of hay racks reminded me to add- I don't actually have any hayracks, I put the hay on top of the pigloos and then my pigs stretch to reach them and stand up, or move them and knock the hay off, and do all kinds of funny things. Only Theo is actually able to jump on top of the pigloos, though, maybe because she's so small.
Good luck with your introductions, btw! :)

But yeah, hope this helped.

hi, Thanks for all the replies guys.
I will check out the pics today.
Here/s what I have: 1 Hay/Litter Tray(they use it a lot) 1 Hay Rack 1 Plastic Pigloo 1 Cardboard tunnel 1 Plastic Tube Hidey 1 pellet bowl 1 food bowl and 1 water bowl and 1 water bottle although mine don't drink from the bottle yet.
Still I feel they are not running as much as they used to.. I am planning to upgrade to a second level but I am still a bit worried.. they eat a lot.. they drink.. they will sleep and be happy with cuddles.. still they don't run laps which is bothering me.
Also I am using fleece bedding and one of them will just tug out the fleece and dig under it and get lost. sot now I have fixed the fleece and they are not able to dig.. Can I put in some shavings or paper shred for Cuddles who loves to dig?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.