Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Cleaning out timid pig's hiding spot?

Cameron Harvard

Cavy Slave
Hey! This is my first post here, and i think i'm in the right place for this question!

i just got my first piggie almost a week ago and he's adjusting pretty well! But he still spends a lot of time hiding in a corner behind his igloo. His cage is one of those blue All Living Things guinea pig cages (i'm already thinking about upgrading to the Bunny cage or building my own when i can) and his igloo is mostly under the loft so it creates a sort of secondary tunnel between it and the ramp/back side of the cage that he stays in for the most part.

i just noticed today that he's used the bathroom quite a bit in his igloo and i'm sure he has in the corner too. i've spot cleaned the rest of the cage already but i'm afraid of scaring him too much if i take him out to clean back there, and i'm sure trying to do it with him in the cage wouldn't be a good idea. What's the best way to handle this?

Thanks!

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
My girls were very timid when I first got them. I was scared about cleaning the cage because it would take out some of the scent and I thought they would be scared all over again like when I first got them. But I ended up cleaning the whole cage at once and they did fine.

I googled the cage and what I think the cage is is pretty small. So you should probably give the cage a full out clean once a week and your piggie should be fine. i also think if you take him out he will be fine since you got him about a week ago. Good luck!

Cameron Harvard

Cavy Slave
i ended up sucking it up and taking him out haha. (i attempted our first laptime since i was already taking him out, he was a little stressed i think >.<) But i got his cage clean and i even rearranged it for him. Now he has a tunnel all the way around the igloo and he seems to be really entertained with it! So mission success i guess! haha

but yeah i'm a little dissatisfied with the cage size. it was all i could afford at the time and i'm excited to get him something a little more roomy eventually :)

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
I don't want to sound rude or judgy but from looking at the pet store costs for the cage you could've afforded a c&c cage or a Midwest for the same price. I know it's too late now and it's great that you know it's too small and are going to upgrade.

Cameron Harvard

Cavy Slave
Yeah, i was too enamored with the idea that it came with extra supplies as a "kit," and i just wasn't aware of the need for a bigger cage. i'll see about my store's return policy. i know they had one for pets but not sure about the cage, but that's a great idea and i'll look into it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.