Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage SO FRUSTRATED! Cage too small and fighting boars!!!

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
We recently got two male piggies. And they have ALOT of tiffs and whenever they pass each other they teeth chatter. I NEED to move them to my room so I can out them in a C&C cage for more space. Boars need atleast a 2X5 C&C cage, and they only have a cage (DIY MELAMINE) that is aquivalent to a 1X4. IM SO FRUSTRATED becuase I want to move my piggies to my room ASAP and dad said that he will have to think about it for 3 MONTHS!!! I'm worried a fight will occour then dad will say put a divider in. If I do that, THEN I WILL OFFICIALY BE CROWNED THE WORST PIGGIE OWNER IN HISTORY! BECUASE they will LITRALLY be living in a 1X2 C&C cage! And dad thinks we can expand it, But only by 10 centimeters! That's all we can fit into the room thier in! PLEASE RESPOND AND EXPLAIN TO MY DAD WHY THEY NEED TO MOVE!

Everyon on this forum is going to hate me now for doing this to my pigs. AND I NEVER WANTED ANY HASSLE LIKE THIS! I'm so sorry piggies. Am I a horrible owner? Looks like it.

Last edited:
God I wish I had a mum... then everything would go smoother...

No, you're not a horrible owner, but it would have been better to research what pigs actually need before getting them. That way you'd have known what you were getting into.

That cage is only half large enough for one pig, and you are certainly right to be concerned about two boars hurting each other. You can build a C&C cage pretty cheaply yourself, and you can ask your dad whether he'd rather pay for a new cage or pay for vet bills for the pigs.

If he won't give in, it would be better to surrender your pigs to a good rescue and wait until you are able to provide for the adequately before getting others.

Give the two guinea pigs a place to hide from each other. Giving them hideouts allows them to have their own space. They can be anything from a shoebox to a purpose built pigloo which are excellent for guinea pigs to retreat to.

Guinea pigs do appreciate their own space even though they are herd animals and will look to set out their territory. Having a retreat like this will help them to feel more comfortable in the surroundings.

It's clear you love your Guinea Pigs and have researched what they need in the way of space, l don't think you're the worst ever at all. Sadly there are people who don't care that they don't know anything about how to care for their pets

I'm curious why your Dad has specified a 3-month delay to decide if you can move them to your room? Presumably once there you could at least shut the door, get them out, and maybe an hour or two of floor time would make them too tired to fight when they are returned to their beensy cage until you have a bigger one.

Look for other forum members who live in your area who can recommend the best sources for coroplast & 9 x 9 hole grids. I believe that when you compile a list for your Dad, showing your plans, and the costs, he will see that you are serious, and be impressed with your effort

In the meantime, I agree that hideys would help tone down the fighting, maybe you could look at fleece cuddle cups to minimize the use of limited space. Believe it or not, you might even see an improvement by adding a second water bottle.

Lastly, I am so sad that you haven't got a Mum... Are their any Aunts, Neighbours or Teachers you can confide in?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.