Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Crust around the eye - picture

JamesG

Cavy Slave
Crust around the eye - pictureThis certainly doesn't look good. Is this a possible URI (upper respiratory infection)? He is my newest piggie and we just got him settled in today. I had him meet another of mine on the floor, and I'm most certainly concerned that he could have spread something. Hnghh.

I was thinking it could be a vitamin deficiency. I really don't know though. Any thoughts? How much is treatment on average? I can't get him to eat any veggies, but then again, I just got him today.

Alright, he is most certainly sick after isolating him and viewing him for a few hours. My other pig licked his eye for whatever reason, and now I'm terrified that I'll have two that are sick. Vetinarian care is not going to be an issue, but as for my other guy, how long would it be before I would expect to see symptoms? Honestly, I'm thinking about setting an appointment to a vet anyway for him for a "just in case" scenerio. I have no idea what to do, though.

Could I take the other pig to a vet even though he isn't showing symptoms?

Last edited:
Thanks! The original owner is going to take care of him. It's kind of a long story. I'm scheduling a an appointment for my current cavy for a "just in case" on Monday. He's still doing great, but I know these things can't take time to show. Best catch it early.

What a sad day, though. Just a quick question, is an unlimited supply of hay a day and a baby carrot a day enough to keep their teeth in shape? Pinto is doing this odd thing where he is chewing for absolutely no reason. I'm glad I've found a vet X_X

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.