Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Intro/info! (A little info about guinea pig enrichment)

Sary168

Cavy Gazer
Would the people saying on the other topic that is too old to reply to who are saying: "how would you like to wake up to find your furniture rearranged by someone else?" please try and think like a guinea pig (or any animal for that matter) in a cage or enclosure and not a human? Guinea pigs do not see they're furniture the way we do when we look around a room (as doesn't any animals). They are animals who see they're furniture as and react to it as if it's enrichment. I study animal management and the word IS in fact enrichment - please feel free to look it up. It means basically stimuly and it is stressed to us ALL of the time in college, that animals especially zoo or other wild animals in captivity must have enrichment in their enclosures to prevent boredom. The animals in the animal unit at my college and even in many zoos and wildlife parks have their furniture changed around regularly to prevent boredom. Please remember they are animals that otherwise would be running free and the happiest have plenty of stimuly, they DON'T wander around picking out nice curtains for their homes or comfortable beds. On that note, I do like to think animals are like little people in animal bodies but it is also stressed to us in college all of the time THEY AREN'T! They have smaller brains - plus making the effort at least shows we care. Hope you all understand!

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
I so agree with this.

I provide my guinea pigs with tons of enrichment through training tricks and providing them with new and fun experiences. I always suggest trick training because I love the bond it builds and the enrichment and mental stimulation it provides :)

Diana Durfey

Cavy Slave
I so agree with this.

I provide my guinea pigs with tons of enrichment through training tricks and providing them with new and fun experiences. I always suggest trick training because I love the bond it builds and the enrichment and mental stimulation it provides :)

How do you train your piggies? Do you have a post about it? We would love to try it with our piggies.

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
I use clicker training!

Clicker training guinea pigs requires more handler skills and mechanics than clicker training dogs as dogs are VERY forgiving and love to interact with people naturally. And I do have a thread!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/106442-Clicker-Training-Guinea-Pigs!

I always tell people about providing mental stimulation for all of their pets, as I find it an often overlooked part of their welfare. I train lots of husbandry behaviors, too so they are comfortable with nail trims, being moved, being weighed, and tons of other things that just make life easier for everyone. They have fun doing it and it makes their life more comfortable! I always say to start with tricks as soon as you can because it gives the animal experience with learning and the trainer experience with training.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hi and welcome

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.