PDA

View Full Version : Where in Australia are you?

thecarerescue
10-15-05, 05:17 am
Just thought it would be fun to see where we are all located, I know the cities where we live are displayed but that's all -and it really would be interesting to see how close we all might be in the same city!
I'm in the Sutherland Shire, Sydney. If you don't know it, probably the best known suburb is Cronulla.

jonsgirll
10-15-05, 06:30 am
Im on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland..near Maroochydore.

cavy_lover
10-15-05, 08:03 am
I live in Sydney in the Western Suburbs near Blacktown : )

The Magic Taco
10-15-05, 04:31 pm
I'm in Brisbane, Coorparoo.

Bellebelle
10-16-05, 03:59 am
I'm in the Hunter Valley, New South Wales
Emma

Salstar
10-16-05, 04:30 am
Im in Brisbane, Wynnum until christmas and then I'll be moving back to Carindale.

Matt & Guins
10-18-05, 04:26 am
I'm in Manly - Sydney, NSW

thecarerescue.....is that brianna?

kathrynj
10-26-05, 03:58 am
I am in Bardon, Brisbane. Thats on the northside. Bellebelle are you cuticom?? HIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!Katt

honeysmum
10-28-05, 07:22 am
We are on the beautiful Mornington Peninsula, on Port Phillip Bay, south of Melbourne. Hope you all and your piggies are keeping well!

Krysanthemum
10-28-05, 06:45 pm
Off topic here

Before I begin, I want to mention that I have brought this up with the moderators of this forum, and I was encouraged to do the following.

Brianna (thecarerescue),

I've been to your house, where you rescue pigs. I didn't meet you, but I met your mother. I know for a fact that you and your family breed your pigs, keep them in your garage in extremely small cages, and sell them for $20 each. I was shown a pig that was extremely fat, had obviously never had exercise in his life, and had very long nails that hadn't been clipped for months.

I wouldn't have said anything except you have chosen to represent yourself as a rescue with your handle. However, you aren't caring for your pigs in the way this forum would advocate, and you certainly aren't the CavySpirit definition of a rescue. The moderators felt I should bring this to everyone's attention.

thecarerescue
10-28-05, 08:09 pm
Ouch.
I do not breed or show cavies now, I have stopped have dedicated everything to rescue.
I would have appreciated a warning before posting this on a public board so I could explain myself. I do not keep them in extremely small cages?!?! They're in c&c cages now?! That meet the measurements of cavycages.com
We have no obese pigs.
We charge a $20 ADOPTION FEE, after screening and emails/phone calls? We do not sell them.
I'm so upset right now, I put so much effort and work into my guinea pigs. None of them are ill or overweight - and I am disgusted that you would say that.
I'm heartbroken that someone like you has come to my house. I would have appreciated a heads up so I could have explained myself.

thecarerescue
10-28-05, 08:16 pm
I also invite you back to our home, to see these "neglected cavies". It's rather easy to accuse someone when you're anonymous. When did you come over?

Salstar
10-29-05, 05:49 am
I realise this is a anti-breeding/rescue forum but I really feel that more tact could have been used. I believe that thecarerescue should have been given warning through a PM and allowed the chance to defend herself. Obviously I am only going by what she has typed above but as long as she is not continuing to breed and now has the piggies in suitably sized cages then I don't see the problem. I have never bread guinea pigs before but I have always wanted too, that was until I came across this website and realised the damage I would be doing if I did breed!

enchantingcavy
10-29-05, 07:43 am
Hey Guys!

I'm in Brisbane on the northside. If anyone would like to come visit the sanctuary and some of my own pigglies or to view the setup anytime feel free to give me a buzz!:rolleyes:. There seems to be a few brisbane people...we could have a meetup hehe.

*~jess~*

Krysanthemum
10-29-05, 08:18 am
My apologies, you're right, a warning probably would have been a better way of going about it. I wasn't quite sure how to broach the topic, and just jumped right in.

I know you were aware of C&C cages at the time because some of the pigs were outside in a grid run. However, the cages inside the garage were not C&C sizes. If that has changed since then, that is great.

I never said the pigs were ill, I never said anything about showing, and I certainly did not use the term 'neglected', I simply stated what I saw. There was no screening process that I was aware of, I was never even asked my full name and phone number. If that has changed, good on you. But no thank you, I would not like to come back to your house.

thecarerescue
10-29-05, 06:48 pm
Thank you salstar!

I wasn't aware of c&c cages if I didn't have them actually in my setup, which you didn't seem to mention. One of my friends had been using grids for 10+ years to make outside runs, and she gave me the idea.

"some of the pigs were outside in a grid run."
Weird, I would have thought that would have been exercise - something that you say our pets never have.

And another thing, if you thought that that cavy I showed you was overweight - I'm rather concerned about your pigs. What we showed you was probably Clarke, our favourite boar. Why do we show you? Because he is a prime example of a healthy pig! Boars, if you don't know (seems like you only have two sows) can get rather big. I'll put that down to inexperience.

It sounds like you visited our home well over a year ago, so how dare you post on a public board how we treat our cavies now. Although I assure you back then our piggies were treated with love and affection!

"I know for a fact that you and your family breed your pigs"
That information is false, so before you go accusing people of things I would get your facts straight.

And if you don't want to visit again and SEE what you are saying is true - then why would you say it?!

Funny, that.

Krysanthemum
10-29-05, 07:10 pm
Okay, firstly, please keep your self-righteous indignation and sarcasm to yourself.

You're right, my visit to your house was a while ago, so as I said before, if you have changed your habits, I'm glad.

I said ONE of your boars looked like it hadn't ever had exercise, I made no comment on the others. I based my judgement on his size on my own pigs, who are healthy (thank you for your concern), and photos of pigs I have seen on this forum. I've never seen a pig that big before, but if you think he's healthy, that's up to you. But healthy pigs do not have their nails growing in underneath their feet.

thecarerescue
10-29-05, 07:38 pm
I've never had a problem with nail-clipping, and my pigs certainly do not have nails growing underneath their feet?! I can't vouch for then, but I can for now as I can see what they are like. Guess what? You can't.
Yeah, you've seen photos - that's some great first-hand experience you have.
And how would one of my boars never had any exercise but all the others have? How stupid.

And I will be as indignant, as I want:
in·dig·na·tion
n. Anger aroused by something unjust, mean, or unworthy.

I would think that that word is PERFECT in this situation.

And looking on your previous posts, seems like YOU are the one that has the problem with sarcasm.

Krysanthemum
10-29-05, 10:15 pm
http://www.geocities.com/valansae_cavies/index.html

Brianna, does this website belong to you? The posts on the front page are from 2003 so I understand that it might be out of date. But it states that you are a registered stud, is this still the case? And if you are no longer breeding, why have you not shut this website down, as it clearly promotes showing and breeding?

thecarerescue
10-29-05, 10:42 pm
Okay.. first off - my name is Bree. Hello to the person who doesn't tell me who they are and why they came to my house.

It definitely belongs to me and it's definitely out of date, AS YOU HAVE SAID YOURSELF IT'S FROM 2003.

This site directed to my other site (which my stud site that was the better layout that I used, which you failed to mention was shut down).

I forgot all about this site, and I have proceeded to delete it.

I'm still a registered stud - why? Because you can't un-register a stud.

I do not breed or show cavies. You'll also find I'm not promoting that site, or any other pro breeding/anti rescue website.

Funny how everytime I prove you wrong about something you try to come up with other claims that are invalid - as you said so yourself?

I have no shame in admitting that in the past I was a cavy fancier, and I am now proud to say I have dedicated myself to rescue - as I said in my first post replying to your ridiculous accusations.

Your argument is going round and round in circles. Funny how everytime I prove you wrong about something you try to come up with other claims that are invalid - as you said so yourself.

Moderators - is there anyway we can move this to a more appropriate thread? This is not why I created this thread.

Krysanthemum
10-29-05, 11:40 pm
Fine, if you say you've stopped, then we just have to take your word for it. Like I said before, I'm just saying what I saw. If you've changed, that's great.

LucyLou
10-30-05, 12:04 am
I think people just need to calm down and stop pointing the finger. Show some respect and approach others via private message before you slander them on a public forum. Bree has done nothing to provoke this obviously unfounded attack.

I think like Bree has already said, Moderators need to step in here! I came here to post about where I lived.

thecarerescue
10-30-05, 12:05 am
Yes, you do.
Bottom line:
I do not show.
I do most definitely do not breed.
My cavies are all in adequate space, as per cavycages.com.
I run a disciplined, organised rescue.
I promote the protection of cavy welfare - and agree and stand by the morals of Cavy Spirit and what I say on my website.

One more thing you seem to not answer every time I bring it up ...
You STILL haven't told me who you are, or why you came to my house.

thecarerescue
10-30-05, 12:14 am
Thanks LucyLou.
I did not appreciate the unwarranted attack, and obviously wouldn't want this here if I had a choice - but I'd rather this got moved to another thread than stay in this one.

Krysanthemum
10-30-05, 12:35 am
How does who I am or why I came over change anything I've said? It's irrelevant, so I've chosen not to answer those questions. You're just looking for an opportunity to attack me personally, and I'm not interested in going there.

I don't think I actually attacked anyone. Yes, I'm sure Bree would have preferred this conversation to take place in PMs, but my object here wasn't to make Bree's life more comfortable. My experience of her was that she was a breeder claming to be a rescue. I went to her with the object of obtaining a rescued piggie, and was offered a pig bred by her. If that information is no longer true, I am glad (as I have said repeatedly). However, I wouldn't call it an 'unwarranted attack'. I would call it sharing information that I had about another member of this forum (with moderator approval, I may add).

Just one last thing, and then I think I'm about done with this conversation. While we're education people as to the definition of words:

slan·der n.
Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
A false and malicious statement or report about someone.
I think the word you're looking for is:

li·bel n.

A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
The act of presenting such material to the public.

The written claims presented by a plaintiff in an action at admiralty law or to an ecclesiastical court.
But my statements were not false or malicious, I told what I saw. Therefore, it is neither slander nor libel.

Bottom line:
I do not show.
I do most definitely do not breed.
My cavies are all in adequate space, as per cavycages.com.
I run a disciplined, organised rescue.
I promote the protection of cavy welfare - and agree and stand by the morals of Cavy Spirit and what I say on my website.

Good.

thecarerescue
10-30-05, 12:57 am
It matters who you are, because for all I know you're just one of the many enemies I have made standing up for what I believe in trying to bring my rescue down.

It matters because it's extremely easy to accuse anyone of anything when noone knows who you are.

How could you have come here with the objection to obtain a rescue piggie, and then have me offer you a pig bred by me when you said yourself you didn't meet me?

thecarerescue
10-30-05, 01:07 am
Also, well done LucyLou for finding finding an excellent word to describe what was done by Kysanthemum. Slander. And thank you Krysanthemum for giving everyone the definition, just to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

You're statements were false, you said you knew for a fact I bred pigs. I don't.
What is that information? FALSE.

And it most definitely was an unwarranted attack, you did not PM me or give me warning, nor contact me by PM after I explained a PM would have been appreciated.
Especially because this was and IS a thread about where we live.

Banana
10-30-05, 01:27 am
I am in Kogarah, Sydney....

Krysanthemum, when i first read your original post i was quite upset. My first thought was , this is very close to defamation. I was surprised to see someone speak so badly about this rescue. I understand the reasons behind it- none of us would want to see a breeder posing as a rescue, however my experience has been very different.

I have been visting The Care Rescue for about a year now since i adopted two of my girls there and continue to visit on a regular basis (every month or so) to drop in my donation.

It is true that some of the pigs have been housed in small cages, ones that would not thought to be appropriate in terms of cavy cages standards. However, Bree has been laboriously building c & c cages and all but a handful of the pigs live in them now. She has also bought huge cages for the rabbits. The last time i visited, Bree was in the process of building the last few cages for the pigs that still needed them. At this point she hadn't finished because she could not find any cubes (help her out ppl, if you see some let her know!)

Although i believe strongly that pigs and rabbits should not be kept in small cages, i never thought badly of the rescue. Bree provides a good home for neglected animals. They are fed a proper diet for a guinea pig, right down to the grass hay which is so hard to find in Sydney. I'd prefer to see them in small cages than left out in the wild.

I would not believe any of the pigs to be fat. They are large because most of her pet pigs are quite old and they are boars. As she has said, they receive floor time for exercise ( i have witnessed this many times).

Bree also amazes me with her knowledge of her animals, be they her own pets or rescue pigs and rabbits. She knows which ones she can house together, which ones need special housing due to ailments and which need special individual arrangements.

It is also important to remeber that she runs a chraitable organisation. All the money she puts into the 30 plus pigs and around 10 rabbits she cares for comes from her own pocket and although there was mention of a fee for adoption, i don't recall being asked for one at all. This is quite an expense and she runs the rescue mostly on her own with some help from her mother at times.

I guess my main point is- I happened to come across this rescue and have found it to be a fantastic place. Krystanthemum, I understand why you were worried, however it may have been prudent to contact the rescue and arrange for another visit. Although it may not have been what you wanted, I think you may have made this fantastic rescue look horrible to many people. I am worried that this will put off potential adopters.

There is such a large amount of pigs and especially rabbits that need homes, please contact this rescue and talk to Bree. I am sure she would be happy for you to come and visit. In my experience i have found her to be a caring, dedicated and knowledgeable rescuer.

Thanks,
Ana
(Nikita and Odessa-Pearl say thanks Bree!)

Matt & Guins
10-30-05, 02:07 am
Oh dear - another classic example of where members of this forum are jumping to conclusions before gaining correct and up to date information.

I have spoken to people involved in the cavy fancy here in Australia over this, and each and everyone had the same answer - that bree has not bred cavies, purchased cavies, exhibited cavies or even attended a show in a very long time.

Hopefully this thread can get back on track as to what it was created for - to find out exactly where those members live in Australia.

Matt

Krysanthemum
10-30-05, 05:39 am
Fair enough, others have more up to date information than I have. But please, stop calling what I said 'defamation' and 'slander'. I have read and re-read over and over what I posted, and I posted exactly what I saw. I never lied, I never made anything up, and I'm not entirely sure why I'M now being attacked. If it's out of date information, that's fine, I apologise. I've said repeatedly, if Bree's practice has changed, I'm glad.

I broached this subject with a moderator before I posted anything, and asked her if she thought I should post in on the public forum. She said I should, and that the person in question should be challenged (I'm paraphrasing here).

thecarerescue
10-30-05, 06:09 am
I acknowledge the fact that you consulted a moderator and followed her advice.
You didn't ask me questions, you just stated. You said "I know for a fact", it wasn't a fact. That's what got to me most.
You challenged, I answered. Touché.

LucyLou
10-30-05, 09:57 pm
Regardless of contacting a Moderator, your attack should have been first directed to Bree via PM. However, your improper behaviour led others to adopt the same tone.

By speaking about The Care Rescue (whether that be what you "saw" or not) you've narrowed the chances for some of those pigs. Way to go - that's saving a pig or two.. oh wait, Bree's the one who does that.

attack v.
1. criticise adversely.
2. an offensive operation or mode of behaviour.

improper adj.
1. a) unseemly; indecent.
b) not in accordance with accepted rules of behaviour.
2. inacurate, wrong.
2. an offensive operation or mode of behaviour

touchè int.
1. the acknowledgement of a justified accusation, a witticm, or a point made in reply to one's own.

Krysanthemum
10-30-05, 11:51 pm
I want to just explain something. My intent in posting this was not to question Bree directly, but to let others know that Bree may not be what she was claiming. I couldn't do that my PMing Bree, which is why I chose not to. I posted on a public board. I also chose not to start a new topic because I didn't think it was going to turn into this big a palarva. Bree could have simply answered by saying, 'No, that information is out of date, I don't do that anymore', and all this rubbish could have been avoided. I tried to be polite, so don't blame me for the tone of this thread (not that I am blaming Bree either, it simply got out of control).

Fine, nobody seems to like the way I went about this. It's a moot point at this stage. Others have posted more recent information, and the conversation is complete. Frankly, I wasn't going to post again.

LucyLou,

*I'm trying to say this without attacking*
I find it ironic that you are attacking me for (supposedly) attacking Bree. Unless you have met Bree or seen her set up, I *respectfully* don't understand why you felt the need to continue this discussion. I've not attacked you. Both Banana and Matt&Guins have posted more recent observations regarding thecarerescue's set up. I'm happy to take their observations and let this all go.

thecarerescue
11-01-05, 04:59 am
You may not have wanted this to cause a big palarva, but what you were stating was serious and I took it seriously.

"I find it ironic that you are attacking me for (supposedly) attacking Bree."

You did attack me. It was about my cavies and all I stand for. It was personal, and when it comes to my pets and rescues - it is very, very personal.

LucyLou has met me, and I have met her. She is by the way, an excellent cavy slave (no doubt you weren't questioning that).

I did pretty much say that information is out of date on the first post, and you continued to post more "evidence", to which I must obviously reply - so that's what caused the length and the tone of this thread (which was supposed to be about where we live). I don't know what else you could have expected. You can see how I would have found what you said offensive - particularily about the overweight cavy, who was a boar in excellent health.

Also, you can understand my frustration about me not knowing who you are, and changing your story twice (once saying you didn't meet me personally and then saying you came to my house and then I offered you a pig bred by me... and not clearing this up when I asked about it).

I understand you probably won't ever clear up your story - and I can deal with that.
You didn't actually say I MAY not be what I was claiming to be, but what I was - which was apparently not a suitable cavy rescue.

"you certainly aren't the CavySpirit definition of a rescue."

That's a pretty definite statement to make. The only rescue I would want to be would be one that fits the definition of a CavySpirit rescue.

While I would have done the same if I was in your position, I would have made sure my information was up to date (not 1.5 + years old), and be 100% certain it was correct. I would certainly not accuse an organisation that does good of being a poor definition of a rescue without confirmation, when what I'm trying to do is help the animals that need it. And I probably would have PMed first, regardless.

I'm let this all go as well, and if anyone else has any doubts about our morals as a rescue - please feel free to PM me.

I know I am an excellent rescue, I help homeless pigs and rabbits - and I take pride in what I do.
Now the conversation is complete.
Thank you.

Krysanthemum
11-01-05, 09:31 pm
I just want to clarify two parts of that, and then it can just end.

Also, you can understand my frustration about me not knowing who you are, and changing your story twice (once saying you didn't meet me personally and then saying you came to my house and then I offered you a pig bred by me... and not clearing this up when I asked about it).

My story did not change, I said that I didn't meet you because you were ill that day, and that I met your mother. Later, I said I was offered a bred pig when I had expected a rescued pig. I did not specifically state who it was that made the offer (to clarify futher, I found an ad on the internet for the pig in question, and spoke to you via email to arrange a meeting time. The meeting actually took place with your mother). So the two statements are not at all contradictory.

Lastly, my information is less than 12 months old. I chose not to follow up directly with you because I thought if you had changed your ways as a result of reading cavyspirit, I would have seen an "Oh my god, I've seen the error of my ways" post. As to your opinion as to how you would have handled the situation, hindsight is 20/20.

thecarerescue
11-01-05, 10:43 pm
That is partially what I wanted to know.

"As to your opinion as to how you would have handled the situation, hindsight is 20/20."

It's called using tact.

Alanas
11-04-05, 05:27 am

Hey I am in Blacktown too!

Alanas
11-04-05, 05:43 am
Bree, I have a heap of cubes I no longer need. I turned my multi level into a single level I have about 30 cubes and you may have them for free. I also have coroflute from signs by my students union, some of them have print on the like "don't let Howard take the Uni out of Community" lol but you can put it on the under side so people cannot see it. I would love to help you out by supplying you with some cubes. So if you have a day where you are free I can drop them over to the rescue. I have added you to my msn so we can talk on there. :)

hutchthecavy
01-12-06, 12:29 am
And I like to change it back to the topic and bury the past,

I live in,
state: Victoria,
city: melbourne,
Suburb(s): Carnegie and Prahran,

P.S I think this was posted a bit slow, sorry:sorry:

AngelaT
04-02-06, 02:42 am
Better late then never :) im in the Inner West of Sydney about 5 km from the CBD :)

Aertyn
04-02-06, 03:18 am
I live in the Goulburn Valley, Victoria, in an itty bitty town...

I'm moving back to Melbourne in the next few years though to continue my studies.

Gunnedah
04-02-06, 03:40 am
I live in sydney, NSW

having not been on this forum for very long i think its totally wrong to have a go at someone on a public forum. If the Mods have said to let people know then they should have also said to do it in private.

I know bree and have been to her place. She is very dedicated to her pigs and they are all very well looked after.

You all seem to be very quick to condem breeders, but

Gunnedah
04-02-06, 03:41 am
I live in sydney, NSW

having not been on this forum for very long i think its totally wrong to have a go at someone on a public forum. If the Mods have said to let people know then they should have also said to do it in private.

I know bree and have been to her place. She is very dedicated to her pigs and they are all very well looked after.

You all seem to be very quick to condem breeders, but where would you get your pigs from if no one bred?

Em

VoodooJoint
04-02-06, 07:07 am
Gunnedah

You are correct. You haven't been on this forum long and you are not a Mod.

I suggest you read the stickies and some past threads and educate yourself a bit before you say anything else foolish. All of your posts I have read so far are full of not only bad advice but also seem to be traveling in the vein of everything we stand against.

If you don't like me telling you this in public then you should not be on a public forum.

AngelaT
04-02-06, 08:22 pm
Gunnedah

You are correct. You haven't been on this forum long and you are not a Mod.

I suggest you read the stickies and some past threads and educate yourself a bit before you say anything else foolish. All of your posts I have read so far are full of not only bad advice but also seem to be traveling in the vein of everything we stand against.

If you don't like me telling you this in public then you should not be on a public forum.

I have also read Em's post and i see nothing foolish about what she said. Em has a wealth of knowledge, not only with piggies but with lots of other animals in the world. She is also a big advocate against petshop piggies and has rescued from them in the past. I know that my piggie would not be alive today if it wasnt for her. I also have another on loan as company for my own piggy that she rescued which surely would have died a slow horrible death if it hadnt been for Em coming along.

As a newbie im deeply offened and put off by the anti new people behaviour i have seen on this forum. It really does not give off a welcoming vibe. I am a member of many different forums (both animals and non animals) and i have never experianced this before.

BTW i do not breed, i do not show and i DO have a C & C cage as per proper size specifications, but I do listen to and respect the opinions of others.

PLUR.....:love:

Salstar
04-02-06, 08:56 pm
She is also a big advocate against petshop piggies and has rescued from them in the past.

Taking a sick pig from a pet shop is not rescuing them as it opens up a spot for another pig who will most likely end up in the same condition as the one that was "rescued".

As a newbie im deeply offened and put off by the anti new people behaviour i have seen on this forum. It really does not give off a welcoming vibe. I am a member of many different forums (both animals and non animals) and i have never experianced this before.

There is no "anti new people behaviour" on this forum. There are forum rules for a reason and it is expected that each new member read them before they sign up. If they do not agree with the rules, such as anti breeding, anti showing, anti petshop, anti petshop cages etc, then they shouldnt join as they will not receive the help they are looking for. However if they are prepared to change their ways and post according to the forum rules, then there is no reason for them or anyone else for that matter, not to be welcomed here.

Oh, and I now live at Carina in Brisbane. :)

VoodooJoint
04-02-06, 10:11 pm
I have also read Em's post and i see nothing foolish about what she said. Em has a wealth of knowledge, not only with piggies but with lots of other animals in the world. Em suggested using Eucalyptis oil to clean out the grease glands of Guinea Pigs. http://cavycages.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185721&postcount=2 I work with essential oils as part of my job and know that eucalyptus oil would be highly dangerous as it's caustic and poisonous.

She also said "You all seem to be very quick to condem breeders, but where would you get your pigs from if no one bred?"

By that comment she seems to imply that GPs would go extinct if no one bred. An argument not even worth going into again as it's one of the most ridiculous statements put out by pro-breeders.

Which leads me to also believe that she is pro breeding on a website that is not pro breeding.

She also stated in another thread "Most of ours live outside and a select few live inside."

Okay, so we have her giving bad/dangerous advice, making pro breeder statements and admiting she houses her GPs outside. All of this on a forum that is all about giving good advice, anti-breeder and proper indoor housing.

Why in the world, if you look at what she said just in one day, would you thing I am "anti new people"?

I stand behind my statement "All of your posts I have read so far are full of not only bad advice but also seem to be traveling in the vein of everything we stand against".

If there is more to it then by all means let Em explain herself. So far I am not impressed.

Gunnedah
04-03-06, 03:34 am
Ok

No where did I state that I was a mod.

I do not see how I am being foolish and giving bad advice, when it was suggested using a toothbrush or nail brush to remove the grease gland, when constantly brushing would irritate the skin. The eucalyptus does not touch the skin and is put on with a cotton bud very lightly. Also I did state that the pig should be washed after so that it does not soak any further down the hair shaft and into the skin.

“By that comment she seems to imply that GPs would go extinct if no one bred. An argument not even worth going into again as it's one of the most ridiculous statements put out by pro-breeders”

Seeing as this is a against breeding, how many of you have children? If you are so against it then you would not have bred. If nothing reproduced then all living things would eventually die out. Its not a pro breeding statement it happens to be a fact of life.

“She also stated in another thread "Most of ours live outside and a select few live inside. Okay, so we have her giving bad/dangerous advice, making pro breeder statements and admitting she houses her GPs outside. All of this on a forum that is all about giving good advice, anti-breeder and proper indoor housing”

The post was asking if you have your pigs inside or outside, I answered some of ours are inside and most are out. No where did I give bad/dangerous advice. They cope very well to the climate changes as they are outside! It is a lot different if I was to put an inside pig out side. The outside pigs have very good accommodation and all our pigs live like kings.

I know of another breeder that is on this forum and there pigs do live outside, are you going to say this person is a bad person for having there pigs outside?

I respect that you stand against pet shops, breeding and showing but you have to respect other people. I would love to know the ages of some of you because your maturity level is that of a 6 year old.

Em

VoodooJoint
04-03-06, 09:13 am
I do not see how I am being foolish and giving bad advice, No? Then read your next statement.

The eucalyptus does not touch the skin and is put on with a cotton bud very lightly. Also I did state that the pig should be washed after so that it does not soak any further down the hair shaft and into the skin.You gave very clear instructions on how to use the Eucalyptus oil which leads me to believe that you know it's dangerous YET you use it anyway AND suggest it to others???? Why in the world would you put anything poisonous and caustic on your pets?

Seeing as this is a against breeding, how many of you have children? If you are so against it then you would not have bred. If nothing reproduced then all living things would eventually die out. Its not a pro breeding statement it happens to be a fact of life.Ding, ding, ding!! Congrats you have managed to bring up yet another of the ridiculous arguments breeders use! Keep going you are really earning my respect. I'm not going to answer that because it have been answered a million times before. Maybe one of our other members wants to tackle it.

The outside pigs have very good accommodation and all our pigs live like kings.Whatever makes you feel better about it but last I checked few kings lives like that and no one has ever taken me up on my suggestion that they go live outside for a week in accommodations like their pets have. I'm sure you sleep well at night in your warm cozy bed without the bugs crawling on you.

I know of another breeder that is on this forum and there pigs do live outside, are you going to say this person is a bad person for having there pigs outside?I never said anyone was "a bad person" but I do believe they are doing their pets a great disservice by keeping them outside. If they breed they are doing the world a great disservice and obviously do not care much about their pets' well-being.

I respect that you stand against pet shops, breeding and showing but you have to respect other people.No I don't. I don't have to respect anyone-- Especially not people that give bad advice, breed (probably show) and keep their animals outside. I especially don't have to respect them when they come onto a rescue oriented forum like this and decide to start talking about the very things we stand against.

I would love to know the ages of some of you because your maturity level is that of a 6 year oldI'm old enough to find the tiny little ant-like font you used in this post hard to read. Please use the normal font provided as the default on this site.

As far as having the maturity of a 6 year old. Hahahahahah Thank you. I try to stay young at heart. At least I don't live vicariously through my pets and breed them so I can feel good about creating the perfect little specimen of an animal that is only good for a pet. Now THAT is what I call immature not to mention self centered.

AngelaT
04-03-06, 05:10 pm
You really are a funny person! you admit to having no respect for other, so it makes me wonder do you have any respect for yourself? also if this is how you treat others who having differing opinons then yours i'd hate to see what morals and thoughts of respect your children are being brought up with.

PLUR - Peace Love Unity Respect....it would do you some good to learn what these words mean and it might actually get you some browny points if you put them into action.

VoodooJoint
04-03-06, 05:54 pm
You really are a funny person!Why thank you. I have a feeling you are trying to upset me by saying this as you seem to mention it in every recent post you have made today. It isn't working you will have to try harder.

you admit to having no respect for otherYou misquoted me. I said I don't have to respect others. People need to earn my respect. You have not earned my respect for various reasons I stated earlier.

so it makes me wonder do you have any respect for yourself? Of course I do. I live my life to be a benefit to other people and animals. I am pleased with what I do. I make a difference in animals' and people's lives. That is why I respect myself.

if this is how you treat others who having differing opinons then yours i'd hate to see what morals and thoughts of respect your children are being brought up with.I teach my children to respect and care for living things. To treat their companion animals as members of the family. To understand that breeding our pets would risk their lives and health so therefore we should not do it. Anyway there are more then enough animals up for adoption that need homes.

You are breeding your animals and keeping them outside. Gee who's children will have more empathy for living things?...oh...that's a toughie!

As far as how they should treat others. I am teaching them to stand up for what they believe in. I believe you are neglectful of your animals and treat them like a commodity. Therefore I am not afraid to stand up to you and tell you so. I expect my children to be the same way. Strong, independent people who can speak their minds and think for themselves. Yeah, you're right I'm doing them a disservice.

PLUR - Peace Love Unity Respect....it would do you some good to learn what these words mean and it might actually get you some browny points if you put them into action. Groovy, thanks for the '60's love-in baybee.

I already got it. I even have that respect part down pat. See, I respect my animals by treating them like family. You are the one with the respect problem. Can you not see that?

Treat your animals with respect and I'll respect you in return.

By the way--I thought you were leaving?

Salstar
04-04-06, 08:01 am
Very well said Voodoo!

Alanas
05-15-06, 05:18 am

Woohoo me too.

lethologica
05-21-06, 09:16 pm
I am in Perth northern suburbs

littlemissjoey
06-15-06, 07:57 am
I live in Wollongong, NSW.

pigs_r_us
06-22-06, 10:18 pm
I am in Brisbane...near enchantingcavies :)

TipiDancer
06-28-06, 09:13 pm
You really are a funny person! you admit to having no respect for other, so it makes me wonder do you have any respect for yourself? also if this is how you treat others who having differing opinons then yours i'd hate to see what morals and thoughts of respect your children are being brought up with.

PLUR - Peace Love Unity Respect....it would do you some good to learn what these words mean and it might actually get you some browny points if you put them into action.

Maybe you should think more about your own life...

i'd hate to see what morals and thoughts of respect your children are being brought up with.

Never should a person be this selfish to speak of how they bring their children up. How would you like it if someone came up to you and said: "Wow you have such little mutual respect for living things and other people. Hey, I wonder how you treat your kids? I bet they don't know the meaning of respect!"

littlemissjoey
06-30-06, 10:28 am
And I thought we had successfully steered this thread back on topic...

shermn
04-03-07, 01:32 am
Hey
im only new, signed up today.
i live in geelong down in victoria
i have 3 piggies:love: :love: :love: & am fighting for their right to live indoors lol:D

shermn
04-03-07, 01:59 am
Oh my goodness, why am I known as a cavy cager??? :eek:
Has that got to do with the amount of posts I make??? :weepy:

VoodooJoint
04-03-07, 08:55 am
Oh my goodness, why am I known as a cavy cager??? :eek:
Has that got to do with the amount of posts I make??? :weepy:
You are a cavy cager for 30 days and 10 posts. Once you make at least 10 posts and have been here for 30 days your rank goes up to Cavy Slave.

shermn
04-03-07, 08:16 pm
Oh thankgod, lol, thanks voodoo.
Also, I have a question about the pig in you avatar: the way the hair grows on their head (that makes them look like they are a little unicorn lol), my little boy has that too.. is that part of a breed or is that a cowlick:?:

guineapigfan9000
04-05-07, 03:44 am
fighting for their right to live indoors
Same with me. I consider mine part of the family. They live in a temperature controlled shed. If you can't yet have them indoors, ask if you can move them into a shed (not garage) if you have a shed. Buy some kind of temperature controlling stuff for the shed.
I live in Australia. That's all I'm saying. Sorry. I'm Internet-safety-paranoid. :P

pigloverr
07-27-07, 10:56 pm
back on topic: im on the Central Coast NSW [about halfway between Newcastle and Sydney]

SEpiggie
08-13-07, 04:04 pm
I live in Maryborough Queensland, about a 3 hour drive North of Brisbane.

kathrynj
08-13-07, 08:06 pm
Cool, I grew up near there, in Takura, between Maryborough and Hervey Bay, and went to school in Pialba.

My folks are now out near Childers, a little spot called Dukinwilla (near Howard) out in the sticks!

AussiePigs
08-17-07, 01:14 am
I live in Prahran, Victoria - Suburb of Melbourne

kathchuppa
09-13-07, 11:03 pm
I'm in Sydney near the airport...

pigsforlife
09-14-07, 12:33 am
I live about 5 minutes out of the city centre, in Perth, W.A. Nice little suburb.

Granma piggy
10-06-07, 06:11 am
Hervey Bay Qld.

jade21887
12-27-07, 02:49 pm
I live in Wollongong NSW. Havent got any guinea pigs yet, researching cause I might get one for my daughters birthday.

QueenAbena
01-07-08, 12:25 am
I live in Prahran, Victoria - Suburb of Melbourne

I live in armadale, so I'm close by :).
Where have you been getting your supplies from?

Inky+Smuge
02-25-08, 11:34 pm
Im In AUS and i live in nathalia,I love AUS But its a bumer that theres a drought
http://my.telegraph.co.uk/VirtualContent/85822/20070511065450.jpg

newbie meggie
02-25-08, 11:48 pm
I live in armadale, so I'm close by :).
Where have you been getting your supplies from?

I'm in Box hill good to see some melbourne people too :)

pigsforlife
02-26-08, 12:21 am
WOAH. Thats a BIG picture.

There is a rule somewhere about the size of pictures. This one needs to be downsized big time.

Percy's Mom
02-26-08, 10:49 am
Cute pig, but please put your pictures on Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com) or another similar site, so you can reduce the size of them before posting. I changed it back to a link, so the thread is not distorted. Is this even your pig?

red_paw_prints
04-21-08, 07:47 am
Rockingham, just south of Perth in WA.

pigsforlife
04-21-08, 08:00 am
Hi red_paw_prints! I am from WA as well - nice to finally meet another Western Australian! Do you have any pigs?

red_paw_prints
04-22-08, 08:33 pm
Hi Pigsforlife,
Yes, I sure do. Bagel and Breadstick are a pair of fawn Rexes. Samarai is also a boy and he's a white Rex. Ninja is the Matriarch of the bunch, she started out as a bunny companion piggy. But Dust Bunny met an accidental untimely end and by that time my daughter had turned into one of those teenager creatures and I was left with a lonely piggy and a mostly invisible (but loud) adolescent.

I have uploaded a picture of Bagel, there will be more to come.

What do you have? I will see if you have any pics up.

everliin
06-17-08, 07:47 am
I live in the Central Coast, NSW, which is north of Sydney.

petal
08-22-08, 05:19 pm
I hail from South Australia in the Adelaide hills. Have been here for 20 years.

tree_hugger
10-29-09, 09:53 pm
I live on the Central Coast, about an hour north of Sydney. Anyone else nearby?

distancel
10-30-09, 02:24 am
I'm in Brisbane city.....it's too hot here haha.

Toadies
10-30-09, 08:32 am
I wanted to thank you all for letting us know where you are. I know that it is an option when you register but I, for one, think that it is super cool (pardon the antiquity of the expression) to see people from all over with a common passion.

Bamysmum
11-16-09, 08:49 pm
My piggies and I live in Collaroy on the Northern Beaches of Sydney. Anyone know of a small animal rescue in Northern Sydney? I know a cat and dog shelter that look after guineas on the odd occasion but was wondering if there was a specifically dedicated small animal rescue here in North Sydney?

tree_hugger
11-17-09, 12:03 am
Porsche's Small Animal Rescue (http://www.porschesrescue.com/)

Australian Cavy Sanctuary (http://www.australiancavysanctuary.com/contactus.htm)

Hope that helps! :)

ssskyy
11-17-09, 02:27 am
I'm in Hervey Bay, Queensland.

Kynexy
12-09-09, 05:30 pm
I live in Cairns Qld

Think i am all alone up here

Triggs
12-09-09, 08:10 pm
Um. I dunno if i still post this here? I'm from Melbourne.
P.S on the topic of breeding be wary of a place called "pampered piggies" in noble park, Victoria.
She states she's moving out of state and needs to adopt out a couple of guinea pigs. She will bring out one of each breed but in her garage are dozen's of Guinea pigs in tiny 1x1 looking boxes breeding away.

.Munchkin.
01-08-10, 04:51 pm
Um. I dunno if i still post this here? I'm from Melbourne.
P.S on the topic of breeding be wary of a place called "pampered piggies" in noble park, Victoria.
She states she's moving out of state and needs to adopt out a couple of guinea pigs. She will bring out one of each breed but in her garage are dozen's of Guinea pigs in tiny 1x1 looking boxes breeding away.

Hello!
I'm from Melbourne too :cheerful:

rach08512
03-14-10, 04:13 am
I'm from the Gold Coast QLD (:

SnowPrincess
03-14-10, 08:41 pm
Victoria! :)

Erins
04-03-10, 05:09 am
Hi everyone. I live just outside of Port Macquarie NSW

NinaBallerina
04-04-10, 07:34 am
Hi there, I am in Melbourne - out East in the Dandenongs! :)

mari11
05-20-10, 06:32 pm
I'm in Windsor, west of Sydney.
One young pig at the moment, looking for company for him, haven't found anyone local yet.

robthealmighty
06-30-10, 05:55 am
Im in canberra... how boring ;)

genuinefairy
08-12-10, 10:27 pm
I am from Brisbane, QLD Australia :) good to see lots of other people from Brisbane here!

ange_paj
08-28-10, 03:41 pm
Brisbane, QLD Australia.

squishi
09-14-10, 01:06 pm
Hello I am in gladstone central queensland and I have only just gotten into the art of guinea pigs about 1 year ago and now I am piggy obsessed and have a good name here for selling the bes natured and clean piggies in gladstone. However I only have 6 pigs and only 4 are my breeders the 2 babies were actually sold before hey even left her belly. I have added the few of you close to me to my contacts because i would like to get a good variety in my range if anyone is willing to freight there piggies to me let me know. I have one albino boy wih a cowlick on his head, 1 chocolate boy with a caramel belly, 1 female the same as chocolate ( she has given me 2 clutches), and 1 femal black and white cow licked all ovr which gives her a mowhawk down her back ( she will be giving me her first clutch in november).

Aertyn
09-14-10, 04:20 pm
1. Guinea Pigs have 'litters' not 'clutches' (Chickens have clutches!)
2. There is something like 400+ homeless Guinea Pigs in Queensland alone, so I don't think anyone will be willing to 'freight you there pigs' (I really don't want to know why...guinea pigs aren't trading cards)
3. The risk to a sow in pregnancy is very high, 1 in 5 die of complications. If you care about your pigs please stop breeding, there are already so many homeless pigs in your area that need homes it's stupid to continue breeding.
4. This is a pro-rescue, anti breeding forum...

ange_paj
09-15-10, 02:32 pm
^^^ Thank you for posting before me. Two of my guinea pigs came from a petshop before i knew anything else, you should check out the Australian Cavy sanctuary 100s to almost 1000 guinea pigs arrive there each year because people breed these animals, thinking they could give them to good homes, or can manage the litter they have. Guinea pigs can breed straight after they've had babies, boars begin to fight, the numbers get out of control, and then, wella 20 or so guinea pigs have to be foster cared and put up for adoption, when someone could have prevented that happening in the first place, by either having pairs of the same sex live together or having a de-sexed guinea pig (which i would only recommend if your pig does not get along with it's own sex)

voiletmay
11-03-10, 02:13 pm
Hi, I'm also from Brisbane. My two guineapigs came from the Australian Cavy Santuary.

Bunnings Capalaba has both the ibex (5 pack - $11.50) and the rubbermaid (12 pack $25) grids. They are in the same aisle, but not next to eachother. Used 3 of the rubbermaid packs to make my cage, they are much better value. The connectors are useless though, so just throw them in the bin and use cable ties to put the cage together.