Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eye removed due to abcess

JakeandGeorge

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I have 2 male guinea pigs. I live in the UK. My pigs are separated at the moment because poor George had to have an eye taken out due to an abscess behind it. He made it through the op well and is now in his cage with it divided down the middle. There is a small section where he can see his brother (they're not really brothers but it is easier to say). They will have to be separate for 10 days until he has his staples out. I will do re introductions then. When the cage is undivided it is just over 4 by 4 foot. It is a homemade cage. It is a raised flower bed with correx lining. Will I by able to move and change items round in the cage or would I be best to leave things where they are so George doesn't get confused? I always have food bowls and water bottles in same place. But change where I put tunnels/boxes/paper bags. Also things are moved by the pigs themselves when they run through etc. He seems to be getting about fine and does respond to my voice. Obviously he still has sight in his remaining eye and he will be able to follow Jake if he wants/needs to. Just wanted opinions from others who may have partially sighted pigs. He is not yet 2 so is quite active.
Thanks for any advice. He goes for his post op check tomorrow.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Awwwww, poor George! I hope he feels better soon.

Actually, moving things around the cage will make it more interesting. My boys love to run around my freshly cage and move things to where they like them! lol

JakeandGeorge

Cavy Gazer
Thanks. Yep they usually have stuff moved around by myself or themselves but was thinking would it be stressful for George to have to keep learning where things have moved to. I think I am just feeling sad for him at the minute because he has lost an eye and because he is parted from his brother. So I don't want to be doing anything that could add to his stress.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I feel bad for him too. :( If you do move stuff around, though, I wouldn't move it around too much. Sorry I am second guessing my last response. lol

sushoo

Cavy Slave
Maybe move food bowls so there's a good gap between them and walls, I had a friend who's pig was in the same situation and ended up walking into everything for a few days. Give him lots of cuddles :)

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
Poor piggy! I think you can still move things around as long as there is enough room for him to move around easily without bumping into things. I think he'd appreciate the change of scenery in his cage.

JakeandGeorge

Cavy Gazer
So George had his vet check. They're pleased with his staples and how they look. I'm surprised they didn't clip round his eye though. But it is clean and not swollen. When he has his staples removed I was thinking of using some coconut oil to gently massage onto the area. Would this be OK do you think? Was just thinking it might help with healing etc. But wasn't sure if could use while staples are still in?
It is 100 raw organic virgin coconut oil. My dogs have it added to their food and any scraps they allow me to rub into my elbows;-)
Just thought I'd update you. I have had to change the divider in his cage also because I think he is missing his brother. Before there was just a section that he could see though, but now he can see through the whole divider. I think he is happier.

ColinJellybean

Cavy Slave
Poor George, I am glad that he is healing well though.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I am taking in a pig soon that just had an eye removed. Her foster mom says she suddenly can't drink from a water bottle. I wonder if she just has to adapt to a different point of view to be able to see it. I have no idea. I plan on leaving the food dish and the water bottle in the same place at all times but the houses and snuggle sacks will still be moved after daily cleaning so they are not going potty in the same spot for days on end. I hope she is comfortable with stuff getting moved.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Can he touch noses with his brother? If possible make the area where they can see each other larger.

The first week or so after having his eye removed, my Timmy would bump into things. He soon adapted.

You'll need to keep a diligent eye on the area where his eye was. Timmy's eye would fill up with fluid (his tear duct was still working) and so the vet put a small drainage hole in the incision.

miniver

Cavy Slave
We have two eyes to give us depth perception. If a person loses an eye they will have trouble gauging depth and distance.

Try this experiment. Close one eye and hold up your thumb up so it covers an object in the distance. Without moving your thumb, close that eye and open the other. Your thumb has moved...magic! Or, cover one eye and try to navigate around a room. Be careful, don't hurt yourself.

This may be why that piggy can't used the water bottle. It's hard for them to zero in on smaller targets.

Additional info: I have read conflicting reports about whether guinea pigs can see depth. Some articles say they can and some say they can't.

Last edited:

JakeandGeorge

Cavy Gazer
George not eating

George had an eye removed on wed due to an abcess. He is currently separated from his brother. They can see each other through the divider and can touch noses if they wanted to. George is not eating like he was before his op. Even when I rang the vet to get him seen and his eye was still there but was gross, he was eating like a little pig. And he would have been blind then cause his eye was bulging out. So I don't think he isn't eating because he can't see.

I have been force feeding him pellet mash and water 6 times a day. Luckily I am off work. He was on my knee earlier with a carrot and had the tiniest nibble. I nearly cheered. But by time I'd smiled he'd stopped nibbling. I am gonna ring vets tomorrow to see if he needs an injection to boost him up. He is active when he is on my lap and when I force feed him he is nibbling the syringe.

Could he just be missing his brother that much? Jake is eating and doesn't seem concerned but he is the more dominant pig. I have tried all of George's favourite foods. Pomegranate seeds usually get my fingers nibbled but he ain't bothered with them. He hasn't eaten any hay. He has just had pellet mash mixed with apple sauce and some blended veggies. Doesn't have staples out till next Tues so a while before he can be with his brother again. I have checked his teeth and they look OK. He was given a long lasting pain killer (metcam) and is on baytril still. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Re: George not eating

George had an eye removed on wed due to an abcess. He is currently separated from his brother. They can see each other through the divider and can touch noses if they wanted to. George is not eating like he was before his op. Even when I rang the vet to get him seen and his eye was still there but was gross, he was eating like a little pig. And he would have been blind then cause his eye was bulging out. So I don't think he isn't eating because he can't see. I have been force feeding him pellet mash and water 6 times a day. Luckily I am off work. He was on my knee earlier with a carrot and had the tiniest nibble. I nearly cheered. But by time I'd smiled he'd stopped nibbling. I am gonna ring vets tomorrow to see if he needs an injection to boost him up. He is active when he is on my lap and when I force feed him he is nibbling the syringe. Could he just be missing his brother that much? Jake is eating and doesn't seem concerned but he is the more dominant pig. I have tried all of George's favourite foods. Pomegranate seeds usually get my fingers nibbled but he ain't bothered with them. He hasn't eaten any hay. He has just had pellet mash mixed with apple sauce and some blended veggies. Doesn't have staples out till next Tues so a while before he can be with his brother again. I have checked his teeth and they look OK. He was given a long lasting pain killer (metcam) and is on baytril still. Any thoughts?

He needs a probiotic in addition to the Baytril because the antibiotic also kills off the good bacteria in the gut. Guinea pigs often develop anorexia and bloat when taking Baytril without a probiotic. Keep force feeding him but start the probiotic. You can get Bene bac powder or gel at most pet stores.

JakeandGeorge

Cavy Gazer

Hi, thanks for replying. I'm in the UK. I haven't heard of bene bac powder. When I read up on force feeding it said you could use a poop from a healthy pig and mix it with the pellet mash. Does this work as well as the powder? Or is there a UK alternative to the bene bac? I had mixed one of Jakes fresh poops in with Georges pellet mash. George drank from his bottle earlier while he was on my lap. He has pooped just smaller poops and quantity. I will look up bene bac powder.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

You can also use plain human acidophilus or kyodophilus if you can't find Bene-Bac.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.