Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Adolescent Guinea Pig Causing Trouble

CavyAlly

Cavy Slave
Okay, so here's the back story:
I have two female guinea pigs. Misha who is around 5 months old, and Aya who is exactly 12 weeks old.
Misha has been here since mid-August, and is an absolute joy. Sweet as can be, curious, and very social.
Aya has been here a month. She's timid, and doesn't want much to do with us when we're not offering her food (which is fine, I'm sure she'll come around eventually). I quarantined her for a week, and she did just fine once she settled into the big cage.

Here's my problem: Since Thursday, Aya will NOT leave Misha alone. She chitters at her, chases her around, steals food from her; just being mean. She's 100% female. I've sexed her multiple times, and her foster mom had a proper vet sex her before that. She bullies Misha in the cage, and chirps for her when I have Misha out with me. I don't understand her. What on earth can I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Let her be. She's likely just in heat, and thing will calm down soon.

Did you do proper introductions in a neutral place, and then put them into a cleaned cage that smelled nothing like either pig?

CavyAlly

Cavy Slave
Yes, we started with a proper introduction. They were fine. I suppose she could be in heat, that would make sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.