Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Does my male guinea pig like to be around other guinea pigs if he secretes a smelly..

Melissa Elaine

Cavy Gazer
My daughter got our guinea pig from her friend a school about a year ago. They had 3 and kept 2 together and kept him separate because he releases a nasty smelling liquid when around the others. I always thought this meant he didn't like being around other guinea pigs but have been reading that they are very social and like to be around others. Does this mean he would be uncomfortable with another guinea pig around or would he be happier?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Male guinea pigs give off a rank smell sometimes when asserting dominance. It's a natural and normal thing.

I believe that all guinea pigs are happier with another guinea pig. Occasionally there are some that don't like to share a cage, but they still like to be around other pigs.

Melissa Elaine

Cavy Gazer
How do I have him around other piggies if he doesn't like to share a cage? Just in floor time but they live in another cage or cages next to each other? Can he be around/live with a female if they have been spayed? Would the dominance be less of an issue around a female instead of a male? If the other piggie was a baby or younger would that make a difference? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that our guy is as happy as possible.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If a guinea pig doesn't like to share a cage then it is best to house them next to another cage with a shared wall that they can interact with each other through the grids.

Yes he can live with a spayed female, whether or not you will have dominance issues depends on their individual personalties but generally there are less issues with a female/male pair (regardless of which gender is de-sexed) then a male/male pair. Another option would be to contact a rescue and see if they will allow you to take your boar and let him meet with their lone boars to see if they get along before you commit to taking one home. Age is a factor, often adults are more accepting of a young individual but a younger guinea pig can sometimes cause issues as they grow up and no longer want to be the submissive one (depending on their personality).

No matter what you do you need to be aware that he will scent mark and yes it will smell. Scent marking is a way not only to establish dominance but also to mark territory, which is why you need to introduce in an area neither pig has been before (or has been thoroughly cleaned since their last visit) and clean the cage thoroughly before putting them in together.

All of my boys scent mark every time I clean their cages, both boys in the pair will go around and scent mark all over the cage. Some boys scent marks smell worse then others but the smell doesn't linger for very long if the area is well ventilated. It also helps cut down on scent marking to leave things in the cage that still smell like them like used hideys (except when first introducing).

Last edited:

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Icarus occasionally squirts smelly liquid at Hermes to remind him who's alpha. And both scent marked their cage and floor time space regularly. Some pigs don't get along at all, but most are just displaying normal dominance behavior. Mine will do a dominance display, then 15 minutes later, they're snuggled nose-to-nose.

Melissa Elaine

Cavy Gazer
Thank you, all the information is very helpful. My local shelter gave a number of a lady that rescues guinea pigs out of her house and I believe has about 80 at the moment. They said she will do speed dating with the other boars and my Keiko so he can find a friend he can get along with. I am really excited. I hope this makes him happy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.