Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Do anitbiotics make piggies poop more than usual?

kadege

Cavy Slave
Peanut Butter is on antibiotics for an infection he had from a cut and bite wound from Honey (they are separated permanently now, with a wall of silence between them in a 7x2 cage). I've noticed though that he's been pooping a lot more than usual. Do you think this is from the antibiotics? They have been making him drink a lot more water, so maybe that's why? I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this with a piggy on meds/if it was normal.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Antibiotics usually has the opposite affect, it puts them off their food (bacteria upset in the gut) so they eat less, meaning the output is less. I wouldn't worry if he's producing a larger amount of normal (not runny/soft) poop, but I'd keep my eye on them to make sure they're staying in good form. As with humans, meds can have side effects, so while I'm no vet, I'd venture a guess that meds can give guinea pigs a side effect (excess thirst) too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.