Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cleaning the perineal sac...

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Thunder has not eaten any poops in the past 2-4 months and I am worried. His poos seem to come out in broken pieces and crumbly and light brown. (They used to be watery, almost black and pointed and then all of the sudden there was a change.)
He doesn't ever bend down and take fresh poos. I definitely think it's time to start cleaning his perineal sac and also do it on a regular basis. Thunder is a little more than 3 years old.

Does anybody have experience in doing this? If so, have any good tips? I need some help. I am so nervous! But I really shouldn't wait any longer, I need to face my worries!
Also, he isn't being as active as I've seen him. He doesn't run at all really and just lies around and when he is up he just lazes around eating hay or something.

What materials do I need to do this? How do I do it? Do I need to use a supplement since he's not getting all the nutrition he needs from his poops?

Sorry about the odd subject but it is important.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I wish I had know about this earlier, because the first I heard about it was a week ago. My poor little Roger had a funky butt (wad of hay stuck in his perinal sac). We always said he has junk in his trunk (because he has wide hips) but he really did! After reading up on how to clean his sac it was pretty easy but still scary. I felt really bad bacause we've had him for about 5months and I never knew that he even had a perinal sac:guilty:

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I could not view the videos for some reason but I went on and clean his perineal sac anyways.

There was a bunch of junk in there. I think I got most of it out. His poops look much better now though!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here are other links for those videos -- would someone please check and see if they work for them?

https://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd124/brimstone_photo/Pet%20Photos/medical/?action=view&current=100_7770.mp4]medical pictures by brimstone_photo - Photobucket[/URL]

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Is it true that all male guinea pigs need regular perineal sack cleanings? I've done this once or twice, and the the smell is awful (what did I expect?), it isn't as complicated as you would think.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those work, lissie. Thanks.

GotPigs?

Cavy Slave
This may be a stupid question but do neutered males still need to be cleaned out?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not a stupid question. Some others with boars may want to chime in, but it's my understanding that neutered boars may need occasional cleaning, but not as often as intact ones, and that they have far fewer problems with impaction.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
I was able to load and watch only the first link Lissie. It's good to see how it's done! Thanks!

I've seen a bit of straw hang out of Maximus von Lichtenwalder's butt twice now, which I've pulled out, so I think that it's Time for me too, to "man up" and get to it...

Just a thought, I don't have mineral oil at home, could I use organic coconut oil? I have that.

cmeyers13

Cavy Slave
I was about to test the link, and look into this. But! I'm at work, and I don't want to try to explain to anyone what I'm watching.

Do all Male pigs need this done?

I'm really not looking forward to this.....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, at some point they all need it done. Some at a younger age, others not until they're older. But they do all need to be checked regularly to make sure nothing is hibernating in there.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
My neutered boar rarely needs it done. When I had an older intact boar he needed cleaning pretty much weekly. Him and I both hated it. I would gag every time.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Correct, neutered boars rarely need cleanings. I clean my one neutered boar occasionally, but not often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.