Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Young ones don't seem to drink

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Freyja and Frigga, my two young girls, do not seem to drink. I cannot fathom it.

I've washed their bottles thoroughly daily, I've tried moving them, adjusting the heights, I've tried leaving bowls of water as well. They are not having any of it. I've marked the bottles with sharpie for a week now and they're not budging.

To get fluid into them I've been making sure their veggies are wet. they both seem physically fine, they're not showing any signs of dehydration. They're very perky and playful and bright eyed. I've tried tempting them by tapping the ballbearing in the bottles to make water run from them, Freyja got as far as nibbling the spout, but didn't sip from it.

It's driving me mad. I'm getting worried. I have to be honest, I'm not sure how long this has been going on. With Crumbs being so desperately ill, I was blinkered by looking after her, I admit it.

Could it be the water itself? Maybe it's changed in my area. I do filter it, but should I switch to bottled water? Should I buy new bottles? They've been sterilised to within an inch of their lives (I use the glass ones), and cleaned thoroughly with vinegar in case there was a residual scent on them from the girls who passed that was putting my wee'uns off. No improvement.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

*Edit* I hasten to add, they're not babies. Freyja is around 9 months by our best reckoning, and Frigga about 7 months we think.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had pigs that don't drink much, and some that take it in spurts. For the non-drinkers, I just make sure their veggies are wet, and include things like tomatoes and cucumbers to increase their water intake.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Thank you bpatters. I'm a compulsive worrier, this is really stressing me. I will try your suggestion with the cucumber etc. As I say, they don't seem ill or anything. I'm just spooked by it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.