Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

You Should Have 2 Water Bottles

pennick

Cavy Slave
Hi. Just want to tell you about my experience. I went away a few weeks ago for 3 days and left my husband in charge of my piggies. I have 2 water bottles on their 2x4 cage. One on the bottom, and one on 2nd level. I showed my husband how to fill up their water bottle if it should become empty. My husband is not to swift when it comes to changing light bulbs, water bottles, etc.

When I came home my husband casually mentioned to me that they didn't drink much water and isn't that unusual. It is very unusual because they are big water drinkers. They very rarely drink from the 1st level bottle, usually its always the 2nd level they prefer. After monitoring them the next day I noticed that they in deed were not coming up stairs to drink from their favorite bottle. Upon inspecting the bottle I noticed that hardly any water was coming out from it. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the bottle cap was closed to tight and I guess by tightening the cap too tight it didn't allow for water flow. Good thing for the 2nd water bottle.

So the lesson here is I would definately have an extra water bottle hooked up to your cage just in case one is not working.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean. Also, it is nice to do that because every so often I like to add a tiny bit of sugar free orange flavoring to the water, somthing like Tang, as a treat. ❤️ My piggy baby loves it.

amfeider

Cavy Slave
Tang is a bad Idea it has too much sugar insted squeeze an orange in there every once in a while.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Like I said, I use a sugar free non brandname solution my parents picked up at WalMart. I found the same information that you provided on a website, but thank you anyway. ^^

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Oh and my first post should say "My piggy, Baby, loves it."

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm assuming that the sugar free tang "stuff" has artificial sweetener in it. You are aware that artificial sweeteners have been known to cause cancer in lab animals...and guinea pigs are considered lab animals..soo....

In other words don't feed your GP anything that is known to cause cancer. They develop cancer much more quickly then humans do.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Um...Mmmm Tang...

I have two water bottles.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
I can list the ingredients if you would like? I saw nothing that looked like it would be artificial sweeteners. I'm sorry, and I'm pretty sure you're not trying to make me feel this way, but I feel like I'm being attacked. O.O Here are the ingredients:

citric acid, tricalcium phosphate, natural and artificial flavors, maltodextrin, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), aspartame, gum arabic, acesulfame potassium, xanthan gum, artificial color, calcium silicate, magnesium oxide, yellow 5, yellow 5 lake, red 40, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin E acetate

PrincessOfMars

Cavy Slave
Aspartame is an artificial sweetener.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
First of all don't feel attacked. Neither this, nor my previous post, is meant as an attack. I only want what is best for you and your pets so you can have a great life together. Education is the key to this and you are simply learning something you didn't know or perhaps didn't think about before.

Yes, aspartame is the same artificial sweetener used in Equal and Nutrasweet. Here is a page about the dangers of aspartame https://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much. When I told my parents about that last night my mom said that we would try to find something else that is safer for the piggy but still as tasty. Would natural sugars be okay?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
x0PiggyPerson0x said:
Thank you very much. When I told my parents about that last night my mom said that we would try to find something else that is safer for the piggy but still as tasty. Would natural sugars be okay?
No, natural sugar is just as bad. It can induce diabetes in you Guinea pig. They should get no more sugar then is naturally found in the veggies you feed and the occational fruit treat you give them.

Plain water is more then adequate. If you want to give them a treat try a thin slice of apple, pear of other fruit once and a while.

If you keep putting sweet flavorings into the water your GP will start to reject plain water which will create problems for both of you.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Again, thank you. I guess I'll be the one using the leftover orange flavoring.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I wholeheartedly agree with VJ, stick with plain water ONLY. Piggies don't need anything added to their water.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Plain Water Only!

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys for helping me out so much. I hope to be able to provide Baby with a healthy, happy life.

dropping_head

Cavy Slave
amfeider said:
Tang is a bad Idea it has too much sugar insted squeeze an orange in there every once in a while.

I guess I shouldn't give my pigs sweatened tea then. :sad:
They will probably like it sugarless.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
dropping_head said:
I guess I shouldn't give my pigs sweatened tea then. :sad:
They will probably like it sugarless.
You shouldn't give them anything in their water. Or any other water substitutes. The only other liquid you should ever give cavies is unsweetened cranberry juice to help stave off UTIs in pigs who get them cronically and once in a while in healthy pigs for a Vit C boost if you feel they could use it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.