Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Yoshi Update!

Blog entry from old forum

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Hey guys. Yoshi doesn't have a tumor.:D It was a fungus issue that went out of control. I didn't notice it until that thing popped up on her leg because she's so hard to handle. She's not a cuddler, that's for sure.

"Hedgehogs can develop fungal disease of the skin. It is most commonly caused by a fungus called Trichophyton mentagrophytes. This fungus can also affect cats, dogs and humans. The signs of the disease are similar to mange mites, but the hedgehog is usually not 'itchy'. The lesions appear mostly around the face and ears with dry, crusty and scaly skin. A veterinarian can make the diagnosis by plucking some affected hair or quills and performing a fungal culture. The treatment may include both topical and oral medications." - https://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=685&EVetID=228974

The thing on her leg popped, they put her under (seeing a sleepy/drunk hedgie is kinda cute I have to admit), they took skin scrapings and gave her a shot. She (Dr. Katie Phillips) said it's either mites and/or fungus so we're treating both. She was such a good girl the whole time. I am really glad that she's not going to die. I was really afraid and I even cried most the days since friday. Thanks for the support everyone. I couldn't ask for anything more. :love:

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Phew. :melodrama Good thing! I'm so glad Yoshi will be fine.

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Me too! I was so scared. It's weird how we get attached to even the smallest, non-social animals of the world. Let me tell you, she's a handful!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.