Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wow... a 3x12!!!

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Awesome cage I wish I had the room to do something like that. I bet feeding time is crazy there, neighbors complaining because of loud wheeking.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I love it. Such spoiled piggies. My girls would have a ball running away from me when I try to take them out. lol

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Fiancee is promising me a cage that size when we by our first home. I am so jealous. Pitiful 2X 4 cage........doesn't seem nearly large enough......even with a loft....I hope my pigs do not hear about this........

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the positive feedback!! I left out a few detalis about the rest of the cage (that is still ideas being hashed out by hub and I) but what I am hoping to do is build a seperated loft for their hay. It will be an elevated 2x2, but it won't be over the cage, it will be next to it, with a switchback ramp leading up to it. It will be on a grid stand with storage underneith. I'm really looking forward to adding it to see what the girls think. The other idea is hubbies, and it was to just do a 1x2 corridor into a 2x2 or 2x3 for their hay, and not have it elevated. While I think that is a good idea, I kind of have my heart set on the elevated one for some reason.
As far as the question of how many pieces of corroplast it took to buid the cage, it only took 2! It has 3.5 inch sides and the one end actually has a 5 inch wall. I went to the sign shop and ordered 3 pieces (because we also have aboy but I think my mom secretly wants to keep him at her house and he already has a 2x3 c&c there) and the girl said "Uhm, usually when people get this to make cages, they only need one piece", and then I had to go into my dimensions and stuff. Too funny. Also when buying fleece, the people always ask if I'm making a blanket or something, and are always surperised that I'm using it for my guinea pig cage. I've educated alot of people about cages and fleece just by explaining the dimensions of my cage and my reasoning for fleece v/s more disposable kinds of bedding, and why CEDER should never be used. It took 5.5 YARDS of fleece to cover the cage floor (with a little left over that had to be folded inwards). I got one nice set at $5-something a yard, and then I got a not patterned set for $2-something a yard.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
That looks fabulous Kriket! I love your loft idea too! I love lofts (so do my pigs!) Just had to add that I love the colour scheme too! Very tasteful!

piggy-lover

Cavy Slave
That is HUGE!! Good job on it. :)

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Well I finally got my loft up! It's not seperated and elevated like I was hoping to do, but it IS elevated. It's a 2x3.5. We scooted that huge monstrosity against the one wall closwest to where I was taking the pictures from, and put the loft of the other end, with floor supports under it to hold it up. It only overhangs my cage by about a half a grid, which is good becuase that was the reason the last loft (in the 2x12 at my old house) didn't work... They would hang out under the loft and leave an absolute mess and it was gross. This one is completly removable for quick and easy cleaning, and is being used primarily as a hayloft and I've got their food up there to "help them remember" how to use a ramp. the ramp itself is 2 grids zipped together, with a piece of coroplast on the top. It's covered with a towel for traction and the towel is held on with binder clips. Also very easy to dissasemble and wash. I'm so proud of my cage... can't wait to get pics and post them up!!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Very inspiring, If I had the space and the time I would even make it for my 3 pigs, THEY WOULD GO WILD!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I am looking forward to the pics. Can't wait to see what you did.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thats such a great cage! I just finished mine, it actually looks very similar, Im using purple fleece too! Except mine is a bent 2x11.

Very good job, I bet your piggies love it!

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Kricket, that is AMASING!, some day boy would I ever love a cage like that.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Well, I've had my loft up for about 3 weeks, give or take a couple of days. I definitly need to remove it from the top of the cage and make it seperate the way I was originally gointg to. the girls' fav spot is under that 6 inch overhang and that is where they do their business for the most part, which leads to that area becomming disgisting. They also kick hay all over creation when they are running around in the loft. If I remove it from the top of the cage, it will go onto the hardwood and be able to be swept up, but as it is it is getting all ove rmy fleece and it's irriataing me, and the girls' told me it irritates them too because they love their pretty fleece (I have a surprise for them too, I got them some new fleece tonight at work).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.