Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Why More Than 2 Piggies?

pennick

Cavy Slave
After reading alot of posts from people who have decided to adopt another piggy while already having 2, and encountering alot of trouble with their added on piggy, I am left with this question Why look for trouble?

I count my many blessings that I have 2 healthy and happy piggies and there is no way in this world I would look for possible trouble in bringing another one home. Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning those people who have the extra room and time to devote to their extra piggies who dont get along with the original ones. For you its simple, build another cage.

I am questioning those who dont have that extra room or who would rather not have to build that extra cage WHY? Why upset what you have now if there could be trouble down the road. I have read post after post after post on those who have adopted another piggy only to find out that they dont get along with the ones they already have. All that fighting, buddy baths, fighting, separating, etc.

If you knew ahead of time the trouble the new piggy would be would you do it again?

All4Cavies

Cavy Slave
I got lucky w/ my pigs.... they all get along wonderfully. Had they not gotten along, I would have built another cage, it would be the only fair thing to do. And looking back on it, I wouldnt have changed a thing even if they didnt get a long and were in seperate cages. I love all of my pigs like they're my children.

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
=( thats so sad you have to find new homes for em, feel better, and your piggies feel better.

Amanda

pennick

Cavy Slave
Amanda said:
I am one of those people who dont have the room for an extra cage and adopted spare piggies. I am sad to say that I am ...working with a shelter now to find new homes for two of my 5. The fighting is awful and expensive to treat afterwards. I am actually ashamed of myself for getting into this situation.
I got the new piggies because I fell in love with their beautiful faces and sweet dispositions towards me. It is just that they aren't sweet to the other pigs and causing trouble. Next time I see someone that I can't resist, I am going to remember the trouble I am having now and loss I am going to have when my favorite pig is gone. If I had known ahead of time, I definately would not put myself and the pigs through it.
Don't fee so bad Amanda.....It is I who usually am the one to go out and do something I was sorry for. If it wasnt for all those posts describing how awful things turned out I may have adopted a few more myself and have been in that same situation. So I actually want to thank this site and all those posts because this is also added knowledge for me in knowing that all piggies dont get along and what everyone is going through. It made my yearning for another piggy go right down the drain.

Amanda
Poohbear

Denise

Cavy Slave
Pennick, Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have added a third. My cage was big enough for three, so we decided to get one for my son. It was very traumatic getting a third. Please don't misunderstand, I would not change anything. We absolutely love Pumpkin. She is such a spitfire. She has fit right in, finally. The only thing I regret is that she was the one injured during introductions and she was the rescue. We felt so bad. She could have been blinded. If it ever comes up, I would only rescue bonded "units" (two or more).

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I think it is worth the risk. If there is a chance that they can get along then why not just give it a try. If it works out it would be the best thing ever. Yes things can go wrong, they may never get along. But if you don't take risks in your life it would be very boring.

Maybe I am just saying this because it worked out for me. I had two pigs to start with one male and one female (seperate!) I then got another four females and three males. I was lucky they all got along. They have their ups and downs, some squabbles and a little bit of nipping but nothing serious. If it gives the two piggies a chance to live in a bigger family, to be happy, then why not?

sasha

Cavy Slave
Lots of people see a sad story, especially if its a pig that would otherwise be put to sleep, and can't resist. Others seem to get them for kids when they have 3 or four kids who all want one. When I wanted a friend for Jane, I got a mother and daughter, so I knew as long as they got along with Jane everything was fine, and I have a 2x3 loft, so if Jane decided to be mean, she could live there for a while. If anything ever happens to one of them years down the line, then the other two won't be lonely suddenly.

I know some people who have six or seven year old pigs that have a much younger companion, and I've always supsected they get another now so they don't have to rush out and get one when the older one dies, but I was afraid to ask, because if that wasn't the reason, I'd feel bad reminding them of their pigs impending death.

I think its not that bad if it's done right. Most rescues in my area will let you bring your pigs and try introducing several of their pigs to find a good match. Also, some people will add a baby so that it bonds with the older ones before adolescence, and then usually the other pigs seem to tolerate its annoying phase. I think people have problems when they pick a new pick that they think is cute but is very dominant and is older or the same size as one of their existing pigs. Picking based on looks alone seems silly when you expect the newbie to get along with all your other pigs.

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
If my mom agrees to let me get another pig I think I will want to bring Peanut to the rescue so she can pick.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am one of the lucky people who have never had pigs that didn't get along when intro'd. I just got a new boar, and after neutering him, he will live with the girls or at least one or two of the girls. One of my mottos is "never say never".

Some people do get new pigs based on looks rather than personality. Sometimes it would be easier to adopt a submissive pig if you have a more dominant pig or vise versa.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Amanda, YOu could (if you wanted to) just keep Mottley in the temporary 1X5 you built. It would be enough room for one pig. Just and idea.

I got 'extra' pigs for different reasons each time. I got Atticus because my previous pig had died, leaving Dagwell all alone. The introduction went really smothly. I got Chewie because my friend couldn't take care of him anymore. That introduction was really tough, they are still sorting out dominance, sometimes I just have to take Chewie out, alone, for a while just to give Dagwell a little break from the mounting and rumblestrutting. I got Apollo because even though Dagwell and Chewie were 'wrestling' for top spot, they still spent more time with eachother than with Atticus. So, Apollo was so that their would be pairs. That was the easiest introduction I did,I almost just plopped Apollo in the cage. (Almost I did introduce them on nuetral territory).

All my boys get along really, really well. I made my cage a 4X5 because I couldn't go longer so I made it wider. They are great friends but do occasionally have lil spats but nothing serious.

Also I don't really have room for another cage with out getting rid of my bed, heh.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.