Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine White milky substance?

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
I was scooping poops tonight when I found a small amount of a white milky substance on the fleece. I have never seen this before. Do girls secrete anything when they are in heat? (one of my girls has been in heat for the last few days). Is it something I should be concerned about? Also, how often do girls go into heat? I have never seen Bella have a heat cycle yet but Lexi has had 3 in a month.

It's excess calcium being expelled through the urine. It has nothing to do with being in heat. Are you feeding a lot of high calcium veggies?

As to the question about heat, they normally go into heat approximately every 16 days. Heat itself only lasts a few hours but some sows can get cranky for a couple of days. With others, you may never know when they are in heat.

Oh gosh,i thought that was normal. My girls have had this ever since i got them. Is this harmful and if so how to solve the problem. I looked at the chart and can't see what im doing wrong. Example. yesterday breakfast,they had,cabbage,green peper,parsley and lettuce.For dinner same but minus the cabbage.

Ok i just found out the reason. My 9year old daughter has been feeding them pieces of kale when she goes into the room. Time to put a lock on the fridge door. Cabbage was only introduced yesterday so it's the kale and or parsley. :( poor piggies.

I seen this white milky substance from one of my boars yesterday when he peed while I was sitting there watching them and talking to them. I'm doing red/green leaf lettuce, green pepper, cilantro, tomatoes. Then alternate some celery in there instead of tomatoes. 1 piece of carrot per pig/per day for a snack before bedtime.

Found out yesterday that hubby has some watermelon rinds that he cut off of a watermelon before throwing it out (after we had eaten it), and has been giving them that everyday for a "snack". Could this be the reason?

One of my boars has milky pee too, it's still yellow but cloudy, and when it's on the fleece or if he pees on his cardboard house it leaves a while residue. I'm wondering how long it takes to flush out extra calcium from their system. They're only 9 weeks old so I'm giving them alfalfa pellets (only about 1/4 cup a day for the two of them) but I think their former home didn't give them hay and had them eatting mostly carrots and pellets so maybe that's where the extra calcium's from.

Mine are eating a good bit of hay/grass, and oxbow cavy cuisine pellets in addition to the veggies listed above. Would like to know also what I'm doing wrong here, or if it's just normal for them to excrete this extra calicium?

Ly&pigs,i think we need some help. I'm just afraid that the calicium build up will now form stones. what's the symptoms of that?

Occasionally I see that their pee has left a white residue, but I never saw it in a thick milky form before. It just worried me. I feed them almost the same thing everyday and only notice it every so often. Thanks for the info!

Angiekay and princesspoppy, I will need a complete list of what you feed in a weeks time broken down by day. I also need the ages of your pigs.

3piggymomma, do you ever feel the white residue? If it feels smooth nothing to worry about but if it feels gritty, that can indicate bladder sludge.

Thanks LY,i'll send you a pm .

Ok i just found out the reason. My 9year old daughter has been feeding them pieces of kale when she goes into the room. Time to put a lock on the fridge door. Cabbage was only introduced yesterday so it's the kale and or parsley. :( poor piggies.

Cabbage causes gas and isn't a good veggie to feed. Kale and parsley at the same time can be too much calcium.

Cabbage was introduced for the 1st time yesterday. It can be givin 2-4 times a week. The pigs had half an inner leaf to see if they would like it.As i said kale was givin by my 9yr old daughter when i didn't know. In general kale is givin once maybe twice a week only. I use LY&pigs chart to keep me in the right direction.

Angiekay and princesspoppy, I will need a complete list of what you feed in a weeks time broken down by day. I also need the ages of your pigs.

3piggymomma, do you ever feel the white residue? If it feels smooth nothing to worry about but if it feels gritty, that can indicate bladder sludge.

Ok Ly, I sent you a PM, and it's not in my sent folder so I hope you got it.

I will get back to you both as soon as I have time to review your pm's.

I also noticed time ago that white substance in one of my males urine. I've touched it when it's dry, and seems to be slightly gritty, and even the particles stick to my fingers, like chalk.

I may have to take a look to the calcium levels in the food I'm giving them (and also I'll have to make changes in their diet, I've never been very careful with it), but I have a question: is there any possibility that the calcium excess could come from the water? I use tap water, and, though I don't know the exact composition of it, I think in my city it's got a bit high levels of minerals. Is that a possibility?

I didn't think of water. Hummmm...ly may come on and shine some light.
I have noticed the milky pee subsiding since i went with ly's advice But the water question is interesting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.