Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Advantage Where to find Advantage?

Geneva

Cavy Slave
We brought one of our girls, Rosa, into our vet today for thinning fur, and it turns out that our pigs have lice. Our vet prescribed (and treated her) with Carbaryl powder. After looking this up on Guinea Lynx once I got home, it looks like Carbaryl is bad and may actually be harmful to our pigs. Is that the case? Should I actually go and wash the stuff off of Rosa? Also, since it sounds like Advantage is the stuff I actually need, where do I get that?

*sigh* We really like our vet, and have been with her for a long time. She's an exotics vet, so she sees many types of animals, but she's been great with our pigs through a whole host of issues. Also, I don't know of any other "qualified" cavy vets in our area. Maybe someone can suggest some? We live in Bellevue, WA, which is near Seattle.

Thanks!

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I live in Olympia, WA, and I haven't taken my pigs to the vet yet but when I do I'll be taking them to the one my rescue recommended and where my male was neutered, it's in Tacoma.

I believe it was the Brown's Point Vet Clinic, but I'll double check.

(broken link removed)

Also, there is a vet finder here...

(broken link removed)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Hi Geneva, I'm not sure which vet you are currently using--is it one that I recommended? If so, please let me know (email or PM).

I don't know much about Carbaryl, but I think I'd wash it off. As for Advantage, it's the same stuff used for cats and dogs, so you can get it at almost any pet supply store. Use the dosage information at Guinea Lynx.

I know two excellent exotics vets in Kirkland. Let me know if you'd like their names.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Ivermectin and Revolution will work too. Ivermectin and Advantage can be found at feed stores or pet supply stores.

Geneva

Cavy Slave
Hi Lisa! I think you also recommended the vet in Tacoma, but unfortunately that would be about an hour drive each way, and we find ourselves at the vet sometimes more than once a month, and driving to Tacoma from Bellevue just isn't really viable. No, our vet is Dr. Kamaka at Eastside Avian & Exotic in Kirkland, is she one that you usually recommend? Honestly, she's always been great with us. We've brought our pigs in for many things, and never had a reason to doubt her until today. It should be interesting to see how she reacts to us questioning her treatment plan though.

I've already washed Rosa off and I will be heading out to look for Advantage this afternoon, following the dosage instructions on Guinea Lynx.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, usually Dr. Kamaka is wonderful with guinea pigs.

The other one in Kirkland is Dr. Mitchell at Juanita Bay Veterinary Hospital. The other rescue, Cavy Companions, uses her, and recently I took one of our new kittens there and was very pleased.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.