Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Where do you keep your cavies indoors or outdoors?

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Bleh It's noones obligation to answer the above questions anyhow the original point of my first post was just that it seems silly to keep a boar on his own if he could easily be housed with other boars and be able to pal up and have proper physical piggy interactions etc with a friend. Not my animal people can choose to do whatever they want with their animals but I believe every guinea pig deserves a companion and it's only for the benefit of the human if they don't ( unless of course they absolutely couldn't be housed with another guinea pig due to agression or some logical reason ).

Jess

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
I ahve to agree with enchantingcavies. I have four dominant boars who cant live with other boars. Three have since been neutered and live with sows. The fourth one is not neutered, he suffered a stroke a year ago and the aneasthetic could easily kill him. He lives by himself.

But if you have a boar who likes other boars, and you have other boars, why dont you put them together?

Emma

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
albert, I appreciate that you edit out non-necessary parts of quotes, but you're also deleting out the final [/quote] after the quote. I've gone in and put them back on where I've noticed the problem, but it would be great if you could check for it before submitting your posts where you have another person quoted. Thanks

GuineaGal

Cavy Slave
Hay Piggie People
I don't want my piggies to be outside in the cold, dark patio but I live in Brizzy and whenever we leave the house for the day or whatever it gets really hot! Any suggestions? (we don't have air con yet)

GuineaGal

Cavy Slave
Thank u so much !!!

u ROK!!

im definately keeping my piggies inside now!!

thanks again fluffball

guineapigfan9000

Cavy Slave
Mine are outdoors, but under the verandah currently - YAY!!
They like being under the verandah, according to the cavy-allergic person it is "temporary", but there's not actually a set date for them to go back to their usual spot. I'm hoping they can stay on the verandah as I get to see them more there!

extensiblecow

Cavy Slave
I keep 4 of my boys indoor. 3 rescued, and 1 fostered.

Two (2) older boys are housed in C&C cage recommended size on this site, and two (2) younger ones are still in a standard plastic pet shop cage - which I'm currently looking to re-cage them to C&C once I've sorted the space constraints.

Their cages are in the centre of the house, in the dining area so they are always seen, patted, talked to, played with etc.

My parents came visit and at first they did not approve of me keeping them indoor. As I have serious sinus problems my parents fear for my health especially the powdery form of GP dried out poops, the hay, the wood shavings etc.

But, I managed to show my parents that :

1. I'm responsible enough to keep my pets and their living quarters clean (and the surrounding areas) and to safe guard myself against any potential animal germs by wearing gloves while cleaning the pets and their cage, and washing my hands after I touch the GPs

2. the GPs are part of the family and how they need interaction as they are social animals. GPs have their needs and demands, and if I'm prepared to care for them, I must commit myself to do the best I could for their well being. And they are a commitment that I am prepare to keep for the rest of their lives.

3. to safe guard the well being of GPs. Though there are no eagles in Sydney (not that I know off), there are cats and larger sized birds. As I do not know the neighbours cats well enough to trust them, I rather take the precaution on my end !

My parents are now every bit into the lives of my guinea pigs ! So this has worked out very well for me :cheerful:

guineapigfan9000

Cavy Slave
After all this, mine are now in a shed where they are locked up at night. Much safer I think. Mine aren't allowed indoors.
I think they like the shed more than the verandah. I was worried about human predators there. Might connect their new cage to their old one to make it bigger as well (sorry, random fact).

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
If they are to be housed in an outbuilding i.e. shed or similar, please ensure that it is temperture controlled, adequate ventilation and light, and constant human monitoring.

It should have access to heating and cooling methods, preferably with electricity conected to have an air conditioner, fans e.t.c running in hotter months. You should try to make it resemble an indoor housing situation as much as possible.

However as discussed an indoor housing situation is far more beneficial for your cavy so if you could some how get them to be permitted inside it would be in the best interests of your pet.

Last edited:

guineapigfan9000

Cavy Slave
Here's what the shed is like:
It used to be a sheltered place to keep stuff like lawnmowers out of the rain. One side is closed, the ends and other side are open. The roof slopes downward toward the currently-open side and I can't stand up fully inside it. I am going to close up the open side and one of the ends, the other end will be left open like a window for ventilation. I'll put a chair inside for me to sit on. As I've just discovered, it is rather easy to bump your head while spot cleaning. Currently it looks more like a lawnmower shed with a guinea pig cage instead of a lawnmower (lawnmower was evicted because of fuel fumes...). The shed is made of wood, if it were metal it might overheat in summer.
Anyway, so far I've discovered some things that need changing:
- Sides need to be closed. I'm going to use thick tarpaulins so that they can be rolled up for more ventilation in summer.
- Need to put something to stop me from bumping my head!
- Needs a place inside to sit with the guinea pigs.
- Possibly needs a couple of roof leaks sealed (will check when raining).
- Needs to look more like a cavy palace... I'm going to stick up pigtures of them inside.

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Hiya, I have two guinea pigs, they are kept indoors. As we have visiters in our garden (foxes) lots of them, you see behind our greenhouse at the bottem of our garden we have about6 holes where they borrow.
I have seem him and named one foxer as in boxer. lol :)

Anyway a bit of topic, My mum and I think we should keep them out of any dangers exposed to them, so we agreed to have them join us in the house.

They are house in a wooden built cage under our stairs, it is not enclosed apart from the very end but it is very easy to get in and out of. My house is never cold and always warm. They are very happy there and I wish not to disturb that for them.

Some piggies mikght be more than happy to go out side for the year but in the winter might prefer to be close and warm. Mine have never sleep out side as I know from the RSPCA.

They are very well looked upon and accessed from inside the house as I can noticed any unusal behavior from them. I dont have to go out in the cold to feed them or give fresh water.

All im saying is just be careful of the dangers of the great out doors. Do not be fooled by the nice sun and pretty flowers just keep you and your piggies cool.

Hope I might help in this reply.

Lorraine
:)

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
Mine are inside, because where I live winter is 6months+ of the year and they would be too cold outside! Plus there are lots of animals around and I'd be afraid to leave them out there. In the summer we go out to play on warm days.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave

shermn

Cavy Slave
So much tension on this forum :(

ok, for now my piggies live outside. im building them a c&c castle pretty much lol and mum is working on dad to let me keep them in the spare room hehehehehehe :D

fawcey

Cavy Slave
I have my two inside, I would miss them too much if they were outside. I like to have them on my lap at night when I watch telly, and I am always chatting to them as I go past their cage.

Wheeking Dreams

Cavy Slave
All of mine are in my house and actually in my room. :)
I have a large enough area for several cages and me and the piggies spend lots of time together.

Ruftybear

Cavy Slave
Both my boys are definitely inside dwellers. I love having them around and chatting with them. They are in their C & C cage next to my computer in our family room, so I can pat them or pick them up for a cuddle most of the time. My 4 little dogs are inside as well, because I can't see the point in having furry friends if they are outside all the time. The love the piggies too.

There are more furry ones than humans in our house, so I suppose we live with them, not the other way around.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
We've had a bit of a development at my home recently.

In the last few months instead of coming inside everyday between 11 and 6, they are staying inside for 3-4 days at a time, and then go out for 5 hours in their hutches, so that we can wash towels, cuddle cups, fleece...igloos, everything. I get up early, wash and dry everything and they are back inside before their evening meal time.

I do loose my bathroom, with a 3x3 grid pen set up on the floor, I have just enough room to open and close my shower door, I do have to actually stand in the pen if I want to use the sink or mirror though. We have 3 pigs in that pen, and my two boys are in the laundry in a 2x4 pen, we do have to kinda step...through the cage to get into the laundry, but as long as my boys are happy.

My parents signed contracts last week, and building on our new house will being in the next few months. And then hopefully, by December they will have their own bedroom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.