Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Wheatgrass... Growing for GP consumption

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
So I use to do wheatgrass shots for the longest time. It was kind of an addiction and I was thinking about starting my wheatgrass grow over again. Is wheatgrass good for guinea pigs? I was looking at the veggie list and it's not listed there. Can they free range on it or do I need to limit their intake? TIA!!!

yubie

Cavy Slave
I am sure that you will receive better answers to your question, but yes it is good for them. Introduce slowly due to possible diarrhea initially. Some feed this hay on a regular bases. I fed Senior in limited supply as I also do other grasses. For me it gives them a change of pace to the timothy hay. Great that you are growing your own. Your piggies are so lucky.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
While wheatgrass is not on the veggie list on the forum post, it is at the bottom of the PDF you can download from the thread. It says it is very nutritious.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
While wheatgrass is not on the veggie list on the forum post, it is at the bottom of the PDF you can download from the thread. It says it is very nutritious.

Ok must have missed that thank you so much. I keep the list in my purse for when I go to the farmers market and when I was planting my container garden. Edited to add: Hahahaha guess my eyes weren't working that day, just pulled it back out and totally saw wheatgrass on the bottom of the page. So I won't free range it, I'll just doing clippings once in a while for them.
@yubie we will see how well it grows this time around. I order a bunch and hopefully this week will be non chaotic and I can get the trays started. :)

Last edited:

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
Mine loved it when I grew it. It's always nice to have good fresh greens!

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
I grew some for my piggies and they absolutely loved it. Their jaws kept moving much quicker than with the other foods, it was funny to watch. I almost felt guilty for taking some to put in my juice. :) I suppose I should grow more. I need to get those large trays they have in farmers market.
One thing I learned though - if I let them eat it directly from the pot, they pull on it, and then it can't regrow. If I cut it, then pot regrows several times, which saves time and seeds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.