Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Whats wrong with showing?

I have to ask but why is it so differen from showing horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, rats etc?

I think showing cavies is very different from horses, dogs, and cats because cavies are prey animals. (I addressed this a bit in my post above). And like Cavies-and-Kids said, cavies are very sensitive to changes in their environment. Most become quite stressed when in strange places.

As for rabbits and rats, also being prey animals, most of them behave in a way similar to cavies. They don't enjoy strange places or strange people.

Cats, dogs, and horses tend to enjoy shows more. They enjoy doing agility, and meeting new people and other animals.

The problem with all shows of course is the emphasis on breeding to achieve the "perfect" pig/cat/dog/etc. This only contributes to the pet overpopulation problem.

Personally, I have no problem with pet expos, local shelter-organized shows, friendly pet get-togethers, etc. Because in these cases the animals are mixed breeds, often from rescues, and they are loved for who they are, not compared to some unattainable breed standard.

~Eris~

Not that I would ever show my rats because I don't agree with showing I have to disagree about them not enjoying strange places or people. My boys love it when they are getting attention whether it be from me or a stranger. They are very friendly and also have came with me to friends houses and such. They weren't stressed out from the situation and just behaved as they always do.

Babygrl1234, technically rats are prey animals, but I agree with you that they usually aren't as skittish as cavies. It does depend on the rats' personality and how much they have been handled/socialized.

A few years ago I had a number of rats (8-9 at one point), as I used to rescue them from the psychology lab at my school. I did have some that were very sociable and rarely acted scared (like yours it seems). But I also had a few that really only let me hold them...

~Eris~

Technically horses are prety animals as well. I have shown horses for over ten years now and some enjoy it more than others. My first mare was good once she settled into the new environment, but there are a lot of horses that would rather stay in the comfort of their own barn. They also dont like being away from their buddies. Some horses thrive off it, it all depends.

Now that I think of it, what's the point of showing cavies? Really, showing horses has more meaning than parading a helpless little creature through a room. Poor guinea pigs.

Now that I think of it, what's the point of showing cavies? Really, showing horses has more meaning than parading a helpless little creature through a room. Poor guinea pigs.

Horse showing is just parading a larger animal around the room. The point of all pedigreed shows is just showing off your handiwork at attempting to make the perfect "specimen".

Well said cavies and kids. I was wiating for someone to finally say what you just did lol. Why compare guineas to the showing of other animals at all....showing of ANY animal is pretty much for the same reasons the only difference is that some animals handle showing better than others but it dosn't change the initial reasons people show.

Jess

l_eris_l, I agree with you completely. I went to one of those awhile ago, and they judged the animals based on personality, tricks, there was even a catagory for the ugliest, and the winner walked away proud. Also, for animals that were skittish, there were several catagories, no animals allowed, videos and photos only. It was really great, and all the profits went to the local animal shelter. That's the type of show that I support. Other than that, I'm against them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.