Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool What's the best way to keep guinea pigs cool?

Ping Leong Li

Cavy Slave
The place that I'm living in is about 75-85 degree. It lasts around 4months. Can you guys suggest some ways to keep my pigs cool? Is a fan going to help? I heard some people said put a ice bottle wrapped by a towel, but is it going to be too wet or humid? Thanks T_T

A fan will help, but don't have it blowing directly on the pigs.

Keep their hair cut short.

Do use ice bottles wrapped in something when it's over 80 degrees. Pigs can get heat stroke at abut 85 degrees, even lower for some.

If you can fit this or two, it really helps as the cool air drops down over them. The tunnel was made from two bent grids but I am sure you can get a basket at a dollar store and cut the ends off, just cover it to help hold the cool air in. The water bottle were empty ones I filled with tap water, come summer, this is what we do.

What's the best way to keep guinea pigs cool?What's the best way to keep guinea pigs cool?

I don't know how it's called in english (I'm from the Netherlands) but I read on another forum that they use glass cutting boards (with round edges afcourse)
It stays cool al the time but be carefull not to put it in the sunlight though..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.