Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What would you advise...

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of getting a new pet/s but I'm not sure what. I'm not sure wether to have a rabbit and a guinea, 2 guinea's or one rabbit. I know there are alot of people saying don't keep guinea's and rabbits together but in the past I had 14 guinea's and 5 rabbits together, split in about 4 large cages and no problems at all. But this time I'm thinking seriously about two guineas. I just have a few questions....

Do they seem to get to know and trust there owner if treated well?
Would you ever consider and guinea and a rabbit?
Would you rather have females or males?
What do you think I should get?

Thankyou so much if you can answer any of these, because I'm not sure which route to take!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Alice.

Just because you had no problems before doesn't mean you won't have problems this time. It takes one accidental kick from a bunny to seriously injure, disable or kill a pig; there are no 'buts' about it. Also, the nutritional differences are difficult to maintain if both live together. Rabbits and pigs together are a definite no.

I have 4 gorgeous guineas of my own - a neutered male in with 3 females and they get on wonderfully. It take time for pigs to get to trust you but if you want a tamer pig then you should find an older pig at a rescue or shelter. Younger pigs are sweet but tend to be more independant and wanting to do their own thing, while older piggies are much more laid-back. Pigs tend to prefer their own company over human company, which is why it is so important to adopt 2 or more. That doesn't mean they don't love their carer though! They show little signs of affection like licking you and nudging you once they get to know you.

Both males and females have their own special requirements. Boars must have their anal sac cleaned regularly to prevent impaction, while females are open to the risk of ovarian cysts as they age. Personally I don't mind which gender of piggy I have - both are adorable in their own ways!

It's not for me to say 'get a rabbit' or 'get a guinea' because I don't know you. It all depends very much on your lifestyle. Bunnies tend to be a little more hands-on than piggies. Whether you decide of piggies or bunnies, please adopt at least 2 - they need company of their own kind!

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
Yes I've seriously gone of the idea of having one of each ( rabbit and guinea ) because of the risks. I'm thinking 2 guinea pigs are for me. But any other opinions?

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
Just though I'd add that all my animals have been rescue, and hopefully these newones will to. I'm also going to buy all my things from the rescue centre too. I love the idea of a rescue forum. I know it sounds like I'm sucking up and all that, but I just don't see why people buy from the pet stores when there are perfectly lovelt pigs that need a good home in the rescue homes.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
AliceTittle said:
Just though I'd add that all my animals have been rescue, and hopefully these newones will to. I'm also going to buy all my things from the rescue centre too. I love the idea of a rescue forum. I know it sounds like I'm sucking up and all that, but I just don't see why people buy from the pet stores when there are perfectly lovelt pigs that need a good home in the rescue homes.
Exactly!

If you do decide to go with 2 guineas you will learn so much from everyone here! www.guinealynx.com has some excellent information, especially about the health side of cavy care.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Rabbits carry a couple of diseases that guinea pigs can catch. One is bordatella and I can't think at this moment what the other one is. Rabbit food contains antibiotics in it that pigs should not receive and is not fortified with Vitamin C. Guinea pig pellets do not have what rabbits need in it. Their dietary needs are different.

Also it does only take one kick from a bunny to injure a pig. I would go with either a pair of rabbits (one being spayed or neutered) or a same sex or altered pair of guinea pigs (neutered male and intact sow or already spayed sow with intact boar). But not one of each, rabbit and piggie, housed together or separately. Both species are social creatures and need another of their own species to live with.

Glad you are going the rescue route and not contributing to the petstores, breeders, mills, etc.

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't mix your rabbits and guineas... get either or, but don't get both if you're planning on placing them in the same cage. I know you said that you've done it before with no harm, but maybe before you were just lucky...

CCC and Ly put it best.

Welcome to the forum, though :)

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
No, i've decided against it now anyways. Just need to save up some money and then it's down to the rescue centre!

pennick

Cavy Slave
Do you still have all these guinea pigs and rabbits?. If not what happened to them?

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
No, this was about 12 years ago. I rehomed most of the rescues, and one is still lving strong which is good, but my last rabbit died three years ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.