Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions What would be the best companion for my Guinea Pig?

RoseyBreeze

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I recently adopted a little 9 month old female from local humane society. She was not in a pair when I acquired her. She is finally starting to settle in her new home after being the shelter for the past month. I'm now looking to get her a companion, I'm just not sure what the best route would be. Should I try to find a slightly younger, older, or same age companion? I'm lucky that I have a humane society and a specific guinea pig rescue fairly close to me. They have limited stock right now though with there only being 2 solitary 1 year old females at each facility, but they're always getting more. They have pairs, but I don't know if that would be the best idea. I really want to avoid buying from a pet store if I can. Would it be worth it to look into getting a boar neutered if he is not, or would that just be too much trouble? Both facilities will allow trial runs if need be, if things don't work out. I'm set up and ready to go for introductions.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Another female around the same age would be an ideal companion, I would think. A 1 year old female from one of the rescues would be fantastic.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The age doesn't matter. Whether or not guinea pigs get along has far more to do with individual personality than with age.

I'd look for another sow -- there's no point in putting a male through surgery just to be a companion for your pig. And there's no guarantee that they'd get along any better than two sows.

For what it's worth, it's usually very easy to introduce two sows. Only rarely do you find two who won't live together.

Here's the bible on guinea pig introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.