Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What to do when you see free Guinea Pigs on craigslist

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
As a lover of guinea pigs, I find it hard to not do anything when I see "Guinea Pig free to a good home" on craigslist. I can't take on anymore since I have four, but I'd hate to imagine the horrors of where this guinea pig will end up. Should I just take it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you can take it, or find somewhere to rehome it to a good home, I'd take it. Otherwise, it's likely to wind up as snake food.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You can take it, but just be careful. I see a lot of ads like that that ask to meet at some gas station, sometimes even in the evening. The pig could also be sick or crippled. If I were you, I'd email or call the person and ask as many questions about the guinea pig as possible before even CONSIDERING taking it home.

clmyers31

Cavy Slave
As a lover of guinea pigs, I find it hard to not do anything when I see "Guinea Pig free to a good home" on craigslist. I can't take on anymore since I have four, but I'd hate to imagine the horrors of where this guinea pig will end up. Should I just take it?

If you do take a piggie from Craigslist. Take someone with you to meet the piggie first; one, for your own safety, and two, so you have another set of eyes on the piggie. You might miss something wrong with the piggie that your friend might see. Only go to the person's home to meet the piggie so you can see it's current environment. If they insist on meeting somewhere other than their home...Be VERY cautious.

Don't get your heart set on saving that piggie so you can realistically evaluate the pig. If anything looks questionable I wouldn't bring it home. Especially with other piggies in the home that could catch a condition from the new pig.

You first have to think about how that new piggie will fit into your current pig family. Do what's best for your own piggies. We can't save them all!! Good luck! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your feedback! I texted the person inquiring about the guinea pig, but unfortunately she was already gone. :( I hope whoever got her will love and care for her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.