Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting Along What really IRKS you??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a few things that urk me. But one of my TOP priorities is the well being and care for an animal NEEDS to be provided.

It really urks me when people sit there and support someone for making "good changes" for their animal when said person can CLEARLY not afford the supplies for the animal's well being.

Please do not name names. Be civil, don't argue. Just list what gets on your nerves. Almost sorta a rant thread.

cottoncandy946

Cavy Slave
The thing that urks me the most is just plain ignorant people. Who no matter what you say are going to care for their animal however they want...even if the animal suffers. People like that IMO just shouldn't own pets. Why have a pet if your not going to do what you actually need to to take care of it?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Silverware in pots that are soaking.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My husband does it and then when I go to scrub the pots I spend the next 10 minutes ranting to myself about the silverware. It's all counter productive. lol

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
People who think sub par animal care is okay and don't do anything to try and change it. They just say, oh well it's only a guinea pig.

Hmm. It ircks me when people make fun of/ talk badly about gay rights.

Or mental illness. Easiest way to upset me; make an offensive autism joke. Actually, make any autism joke.

Calliemay

Cavy Slave
When people buy an animal and doesnt give them a good place to live. Like putting goldfish or bettas in a bowl. And as for the dishes thing i hate it when people put sharp knives in the dish water where you cant see them. I cant remember how many times ive been helping someone wiith the dishes and got cut.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Blatant and repeated mispelling of words, as though the person can't be bothered to consult a dictionary to communicate more clearly and effectively.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
Blatant and repeated mispelling of words, as though the person can't be bothered to consult a dictionary to communicate more clearly and effectively.

Yes!

lissie

Cavy Slave
When someone bashes the other person for not taking good care of their animals, while said person took months to improve the care of his/her animals him/herself.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
When someone bashes the other person for not taking good care of their animals, while said person took months to improve the care of his/her animals him/herself.

But if they clearly could not afford the supplies for the well being of that animal, wouldn't that qualify not properly caring for their animal?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
But if they clearly could not afford the supplies for the well being of that animal, wouldn't that qualify not properly caring for their animal?
I don't see the difference between not being able to afford it and simply assuming what they're doing is alright and not changing anything. They both come to the same - you think your tiny little cage and your crappy food are sufficient, so you don't bother changing anything; you can't afford better care, so you don't change anything. There's no difference and I must say it is fairly troublesome when members spend months on the 'what I'm doing is just fine' ideology only to turn around when they've FINALLY made the necessary changes to smack down people for having that same attitude or having another issue, like a person not being able to afford better care, by starting a thread about how it irks them, in addition to getting involved in just about every possible drama/argument/fight where one can possibly be found or picked on this forum.

lissie

Cavy Slave

How do you know they clearly cannot afford the supplies? Have you seen their bank account statement? If they are willing to improve the care of their animals, they'll find a way to afford it.

I think I know which thread you are talking about. As I said on that thread, the value of money is not the same for every country. $20 here and $20 there is very different.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
When someone would rather be judgemental and dismissive than give support.

When someone criticizes others over money issues regarding care for their animal despite having had same money issues themselves when first joining this forum.

When someone doesn't read all the posts on a thread and then posts something irrelevant.

Last but not least... when someone uses the words our instead of are and their instead of ​they're.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I think I know the thread you're talking about, and you also have to think about the fact that I believe were said person lives there are not many guinea pig rescues or people who even know how to take care of guinea pigs, so it's not as if said person could even give the guinea pig away to someone who could take better care of said guinea pig. This person is trying their best, and it's not as if there is another option such as giving the guinea pig away to someone who can take better care of it. The best you can do is to support and give tips. Being angry at them will only make them want to leave the site and not get any more info on care for the pig.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
To be honest in my opinion, I think if you can't afford supplies - don't get the pet. Simple. Because you aren't taking care of it properly if you can't pay for the simple things for it.
I'm currently at university studying a degree and do not have time for a job. I've got £10 a week coming in from my folks for doing the housework for them. This is nothing, really. But the money I earnt over summer, I'm not touching, in case of vets bills or other supplies. I look for the budget routine of doing things, e.g getting correx from an estate agents for free rather than going to a signmaker, and using cooling racks to make my loft instead of grids because I was out and didn't need 20/didn't want to pay £40 when I only needed like 4, etc...

So with my money situation that I have, my pigs still manage to get the diet, space, and care they need. I prioritise this over anything else when it comes to what I spend my money on.

In regards to the thread everyone's talking about, while I think it's good they're making small improvements, I do think I can understand the reason some people habe become annoyed by it - because they may have seemed slightly annoyed at advice they're receiving, or when told to make certain changes to their pigs lifestyle have said 'I'll do it at the weekend because I'm busy' or something along those lines....personally if my pigs needed a change made, it would happen ASAP and I would push other things aside for it no matter what they were. But that's just me. I'm not trying to seem mean but I can see why some people would be irritated by this attitude. I do think it's good that they posted here, though, because at least they're more aware and their guinea pig now has more space. They aren't being ignorant and not taking heed of advice, so while it might be 'baby steps', it's definitely an improvement.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
And as for what annoys me (the list is endless but I can narrow it down):
- People that are ignorant to advice when they're genuinely not caring for their pet right, to the point where it's life is threatened (you may have seen my previous thread on this situation), and write you off as an 'ignorant know it all'.
- People that ask for advice then get rude and defensive.
- People that don't text back when they have CLEARLY seen your text, why have a phone?!
- People that start searching for their train ticket when they get to the barrier and there's a giant queue behind them, of people that already have their ticket ready...
- And people eating with their mouth full. Dear god. Table manners are disappearing from this Earth, I swear.

Oh, and burping. I forgot about that one. It's vile.

Just a few I have to face daily -_-

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I disagree. Obviously don't get an animal when you can't afford to feed yourself or pay the bills, but sometimes people get 'stuck' with an animal. Rehoming is always a good option, but I'm sure everyone can understand that rehoming isn't always an easy task.

I mean, I'm 16. I obviously can't afford to care for my animals myself because I'm unemployed. However, my parents help when needed. They will get what they need.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I have to agree with certain issues here although definitely not all.

IF you come here, knowing you have a piggie in an unsuitable environment, have the means to take care of your pet but choose NOT to because you either don't want to or are too lazy too, then yes, I have a problem with this.

If you choose to impulse BUY an animal, without doing ANY sort of research and then choose not to properly take care of it, there is an issue.

But if you have an animal that you rescued because the other options of the life of this animal would likely include death, then you have another situation all together.

I think unfortunately, for some people in some places, the resources and means are just NOT available and the other option isn't just to re-home the pet, it would be death for the pet or a very degraded lifestyle. I've seen places in Asia where they keep 100+ guinea pigs and other animals in a small pen to sell and have no regard for their lives or care. It's not just in Asia of course (it's well known about the mills we have here in the US), but unfortunately situations like this DO exist everywhere. Not all places in the world have rescues, nor necessarily would they care about these tiniest of lives. Re-homing is not an option since many places see rodents as "disposable" pets. Even here, where I live, people are constantly letting their pets (dogs and cats especially) loose in the desert to fend for themselves.

I'll give credit to people who are trying to help in a situation that they have come across. Taking a poor animal from a less then ideal situation and make a life for it that it otherwise never would have had. If it wasn't helped by somebody, it would have been tossed aside or left to die.

It may not be your idea of an ideal situation, but for that little guinea pig, I can only hope that they are happier for the chance at a better life they have been offered. Trying to do the best that they can with what they have to work with (not everybody has a corner Walmart to run too, a steady job to afford these items, a vehicle to get to these places, etc.) is a tough situation, especially when somebody has come into learning about their new friend and discover that the care is WAY more then they ever expected. Remember it wasn't long ago that people thought leaving guinea pigs in an aquarium, alone, on pine bedding with colored bits of food was acceptable and great care for the animal.

For some, it may be a slower process but the fact that somebody is trying to learn and help out an innocent animal with what means they do have available, is commendable. If somebody is willing to take an animal in, where it was in a situation between life and death for this animal, and they take it upon themselves to come here for help, then we should HELP them and not chastise them for not providing the care that we would or could.

Personally, I see my 2 boys in their huge cage (32+ sq ft)which is WAY more then the "recommended" space and I couldn't see them in anything smaller then what they have. Times I feel it's TOO small for them and I couldn't ever picture them even in a 4x3 or smaller but many times what people have and what is recommended, is smaller then this. That's just my opinion however and I don't think less of anybody just because they aren't providing the same "standard of care" that I can and do provide for my pigs.

And as for what annoys me (the list is endless but I can narrow it down):
- People that don't text back when they have CLEARLY seen your text, why have a phone?!

Lol, this made me laugh because I'm absolutely one of those people. :)

First, but this probably ages me a lot lol, people have phones to make calls! Although I never do that either lol.
Second, I'm busy and many times I'm too busy to be texting to be honest. But then again, I have kids and animals and a job and I honestly just don't have time to be talking about non-relevant issues that don't involve my family and gossip and just other things.

If I need something, I will call and ask or leave a message. Now I'm going to go feel old somewhere...

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
And for what irks me, is intolerant people.

Whether it be towards another race, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, likes/dislikes, etc. I can't stand when people are just so intolerant of others without even giving that person a chance.

I think I see this more and worry more about it now that I have children and one is disabled, but it seriously just drives me insane that people are so close minded and judgmental in this world. I can only hope that our next generation can turn out some wonderful people like some of the younger ones we have on this forum, who I think will grow to be some great individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.