Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications What meds and supplies should I always keep in my cabinet??

Piglett

Cavy Slave
Question. I have been reading that it's helpful to keep medicine's like Ivermectin and such in your medicine cabinet in the event that your piggie comes down with a topical parasite, etc. I want to hear from the experienced cavyslaves about which meds and/or supplies that you make sure you have in your house no matter what. I want to create a first/aid kit for Piglett and I want to make sure that I have everything I need (keeping shelf life in mind).

Please list the essential supplies and where on the internet I can get them, or what store in NC I can get them from.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I have;
- Revolution (alternative to Ivermectin)
- Maleseb (got it when one of the pigs had fungal)
- Gorgeous guineas products; posh'n'go (long haired pig shampoo), easirinse (short haired pig shampoo) and a couple of other treatment shampoos
- Metacam (pain relief)
- Tramadol (pain relief)
- Bactrim (ab)
- Doxy (ab)
- Nail scissors
- Hair scissor (long haired pig)
- Betadine
- Cotton wool buds
- Vitamin C chewable tablets
- Probiotics (protexin)

Most of the stuff like the treatment shampoos I have collected since owning pigs. All of the medicine (metacam, tramadol, doxy and bactrim) are left over from previous illnesses that some of them have had. As most medicines last for a couple of years I keep them so I don't have to buy new stuff. When they expire I will chuck them out though for the time being it is good to have medicine you can give a sick pig straight away especially if you can not get to a vet appointment straight away.

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
Styptic Powder or Kwik Stop is good to have too, just in case you nip the bloodline when trimming nails.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You should really consult with your vet before giving antibiotics. That doesn't mean it's bad to have them on hand, but definitely call the vet before treating your pigs with them.

I would add syringes to the list in case you need to hand feed. You could also add Critical Care, but it won't last forever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.